aller en Italie faire du tourisme

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by colia, Dec 10, 2012.

1. colia Senior Member

naturellement, j'ai tendance à dire 'in' Italy. Mais le verbe 'go' me pousse à utiliser la préposition 'to'...grammaticalement, quelles préposition dois-je utiliser ?

Merci d'avance pour votre aide !
  2. misterk Moderator

She went sightseeing in Italy.
    She went to Italy to do some sightseeing.
  3. Le Penseur

Le Penseur Senior Member

I don't know how common 'sightseeing' might be these days, at least in Australia. It's perfectly fine to say, just a touch odd to my ears. You could equally say, "She went to Italy to travel" or "She went travelling in Italy". Even is it possible, I suppose, to translate it less literally: "She went on holiday in Italy."
  4. djweaverbeaver Senior Member

English Atlanta, GA USA
    Sightseeing is still very common. When you go to a place to see historical moments, visit museums, tour national landmarks, ride those touristy buses around town, etc., you are seeing the sights of interest. This is one of the main reasons that people overseas travel to Europe. For Americans, this is definitely true. We have our own beaches and ski resorts, so this would be a less common reason although people do travel there for these more leisurely activities.
  5. Le Penseur

Le Penseur Senior Member

I'm aware that 'sightseeing' includes all of that - but I do that too when I travel. I rarely hear it here, at any rate, although I certainly agree it most closely matches the 'touristic' meaning of 'faire du tourisme'. I'd be interested to hear what a British speaker has to say about it.
  6. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Français, Québec ♀
    How about touring?

Could we say, for instance : She went on a touring trip to Italy? She went touring (in) Italy?
    and if that doesn't work, how about : She visited Italy as a tourist?

The reason for asking is that I equate travel with voyager and holiday with vacances.
  7. Le Penseur

Le Penseur Senior Member

I suppose 'touring' and 'sightseeing' are practically equivalent, except that there's more an implication of taking of a trip with a company when you go 'touring' as opposed to 'sightseeing' (which has perhaps - perhaps - slightly more of an 'individual' feel), though the nuance, if such exists, could be more or less personally overridden.

I also see voyager as travel and être en vacances/les vacances with to be on holiday/the holidays (or vacation, if you're so inclined in that more American fashion); on the other hand, though "she visited Italy as a tourist" is grammatically correct, it's a bit stilted and unnatural.

But I think in both languages a slim distinction holds clear, even if we don't always make it consciously all the time ourselves: to 'travel' (or 'voyager') is to pass through a site, wherever it may be, making some sort of journey. It could be, then, ordinarily visiting monuments, as much as it could be personal, as in making a trip on your own through, say, a slum here or a jungle there - distinguished therefore from simply going 'to sightsee' or 'tour' (or 'faire du tourisme'), which is more of going out to specifically see sights and such. That's pretty convoluted, and I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.
  8. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Français, Québec ♀
    Thank you for this detailed answer, Le Penseur. :)
  9. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    We don't have a full sentence or any context, (nor do we know if we're speaking of a she/he/we/etc. , so I'm not sure what is the best translation, but I would definitely not use "sightseeing." And I don't think anyone has yet proposed
    ......went on a tour to Italy. (meaning a guided tour, a tour package)
  10. emmsy

emmsy Senior Member

Orleans France
    UK English
    In British English sightseeing is still fairly common, but exploring is also often used, eg explore the sights of Italy.
  11. Docbike Senior Member

english, UK
    Hi colia

To answer your original question "to go to Italy..." In BE we might say either "to go on holiday to Italy" or "to go to Italy to see the sights/sightseeing" Lots of suggestions for you!