aller sur un site Internet

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by nicko, Sep 12, 2005.

1. nicko Senior Member

Paris
    France, French, English, Spanish
    Hello. I would like to know how I should translate "aller sur un site Internet" ("Tous les jours, j'allais sur le site Internet de Cinco Dias"). Is the verb "to surf" colloquial ? thank you for your answers

2. Aupick

Aupick Senior Member

Strasbourg, France
    UK, English
    Hello.

Yes, I think 'surf' is a little colloquial, but it also contains the idea of visiting several sites in an extended session. For just one site, I would say 'visit'. 'Every day I visited the website of Cinco Dias.'

3. ran Senior Member

Brussels
    French (Belgium)
    or : I would visit (c'est bien une habitude dans le passé, non ?°

4. E-J

E-J Senior Member

Cambridgeshire, UK
    England, English
    Hello nicko

The most common way of saying this in colloquial English, at least in BE, is "go on a website" or "go onto a website". I used to go on(to) the Cinco Dias website every day.

In writing or in a less informal register, "log onto a website" or "visit a website" would be more appropriate.

5. nicko Senior Member

Paris
    Thank you. But is the verb "to visit" appropriate to talk about an activity I had to do during a work placement? Does this verb necessarily implies a connotation of leisure?

6. E-J

E-J Senior Member

Cambridgeshire, UK
    England, English
    I would say it's acceptable in both work and leisure contexts and that one can certainly "visit" websites as part of one's job.

Can you tell us what your complete sentence is going to be?

7. anangelaway

anangelaway Senior Member

Toulouse
    French
    Bonjour!

You may not like it, but I often say:
    I used to read the ''Cinco Dias''s web pages every day.
    or
    I used to check the ''Cinco Dias'''s web pages every day.

8. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I'm guessing a bit, but it sounds as if you want to present what you did on the work placement in the best possible context. So you do not want to sound as if you spent all day looking at the Internet:)

I am sure that you did something with the information you found there - either to report new information or to use the information to so something else.

So:
    "Every day I checked the [ ... ] Cinco Dias website to ...... and ......"
    or
    "Every day I accessed the [ ... ] Cinco Dias website to .... and ......"

[ ... ] You might be able to say here which part of the website you had to look at - for example "...the currency exchange rates on the ".

For example
    "Every day I used the exchange rates on the Cinco Dias website to recalculate the cost of materials for the next three months and present this information to the Finance Director"

There are many possibilities.
    I suggest that you use something that emphasises your use of this site as a source of reference material that you dis something with, rather than emphasising that it is an internet site.

9. nicko Senior Member

Paris
    To answer to E-J, here is my complete sentence: "I had to visit every day the website of the Spanish newspaper Cinco Dias to select the articles that would be summed up by the enterprise" (I am going on a work placement in an enterprise which sums up articles from foreign newspapers). Is it correct?

10. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Every day I accessed the website of the Spanish newspaper Cinco Dias to select articles to be summarised by the <xxxxxxx>.
    I'm not sure about <xxxxxxxx>?
    You should use whatever word is correct in the context of your audience - could be enterprise, or company, or... Was there some set of people, or other part of the enterprise that did the summarising?

11. E-J

E-J Senior Member

Cambridgeshire, UK
    England, English
    "I had to" sounds rather as though you were forced to do it :) I would perhaps say, "My daily task was to visit/check the website of Spanish newspaper 'Cinco Dias' and select articles for summary".

If you want to include "... by the enterprise", I would change it to "... by the company". This is because Enterprise in English is most commonly used to mean a project or activity.

12. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    Everyday I selected articles to be summarized by the Enterprise at the Cinco Dias website.

13. E-J

E-J Senior Member

Cambridgeshire, UK
    England, English
    Bonjour! Une petite précision:

I used to read/check the Cinco Dias's web pages every day. :cross:

I used to read/check Cinco Dias's web pages every day. :tick:
    or
    I used to read/check the Cinco Dias web pages every day. :tick: