Allophones of 'k'

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by sufler, Sep 24, 2013.

1. sufler Senior Member

Polish - Poland
    I was watching the movie "Fetih 1453" to practice my Turkish listening skills.
    In one scene I could swear I heard Sultan Mehmet saying "Biz Kuran'ın hiç...", because I have clearly caught the sound ç in his statement. To my surprise, when I checked original Turkish subtitles to the movie, I found out that the real word he said was kmüne. But then, I listened his phrase over and over 5 times and I still could hear ç in what he said. I checked out on Forvo the pronunciation of the word hüküm, but that guy again pronounces it more like "ts" sound in the middle (I can hear Polish "c" or Russian ц there) - [hütsüm]. I listened to Azer Bülbül's song "Hüküm Giymişim" as well and I am also sure that he pronounces the sound like ç- çüm. So what is the cause of such unusual pronunciation? I haven't come across this thing described in any book for Turkish language. Are there more words of Arabic origin with different pronunciation of letters than usual?

*Forvo pronunciation:üküm/#tr
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2013
  2. Arabus Senior Member

United States
    Turkish k is pronounced [c] (voiceless palatal stop) near front vowels. The same applies to g which is pronounced [ɟ].
  3. sufler Senior Member

Polish - Poland
    Could you give more examples of words like this?
  4. Arabus Senior Member

United States
    ikna (et-) ‘convince’, ekle- ‘add’, eksi ‘minus’, keçi ‘goat’, kömür ‘coal’, iki ‘two’, sök- ‘dismantle’, bölük ‘squadron’, erk ‘power’

Source: TURKISH: A COMPREHENSIVE GRAMMAR, Aslı Göksel and Celia Kerslake
  5. sufler Senior Member

Polish - Poland
    hmm.. but I listened to "eklemek" pronunciation on Forvo and it seems to have normal "k" inside :/
    but as for ikna that's true, it's really pronounced as [içna]
  6. Arabus Senior Member

United States
    It seems to me that Turkish speakers have variant ways of pronunciation.

The sound /e/ is supposed to have three allophones (it is supposed to have three different pronunciations according to the source I mentioned above), but in reality there are speakers who don't make the distinctions.
  7. stonerain Junior Member

I listened all the videos and sounds those you gave in the links but
    I don't hear any kind of 'ç' sound there or Russian ц there. I don't know
    why you hear that.

8. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

When the k is next to a soft vowel, it's pronounced the way you described it. This is best seen in the word mükemmel, where the k is pronounced in a liquid way: However, I wouldn't call it a ç exactly. I'd say it has a small amount of ş in it.
    I pronounce the k in ikna and in eklemek the same way.
  9. ancalimon Senior Member

When we say hüküm, the k sound is precisely the q sound. I think when a "k" comes after "e,i,ö,ü" that is always the "q" sound. But unfortunately we don't have the q sound in our alphabet to differentiate between those two. I think we really should add the q letter to our alphabet.