1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

allowed to add an extra feather

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Cailini, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Cailini Senior Member

English - Ireland
    Hi

could someone help me with this sentence?

they were allowed to add an extra feather to their head-dress each time they killed one of their foe.

my attempt
    Tiene sus orígenes con los indios americanos que se permitió añadir una pluma adicional a sus tocados cada vez que mataron uno de sus enemigos.

context
    practice of native american indians

gracias por cualquier ayuda

2. RaulCavazos

RaulCavazos Senior Member

Monterrey, México
    Mexican Spanish

3. gengo

gengo Senior Member

I think "indígenas" is the usual word for Native Americans.

Tiene sus orígenes en los indígenas, quienes añadían otra pluma a sus tocados cada vez que mataban a uno de sus enemigos.

I don't think it's really necessary to translate the "allowed" part.

4. Cailini Senior Member

English - Ireland
    muchas gracias!

5. RaulCavazos

RaulCavazos Senior Member

Monterrey, México
    Mexican Spanish
    Gengo: solo como comentario.

En México, un "indio americano" es un natural de Estados Unidos o Canadá, también se les dice "indio piel roja" y los indígenas, son los naturales de lo que hoy es Latinoamérica.

El juego de "los indios contra los vaqueros", se refiere a los Kiowas, Sioux, Apaches, etc... nunca a los Mayas, Aztecas, Zapotecas, etc.

6. gengo

gengo Senior Member

Thanks for that, Raul. I didn't know about that distinction between the US and Latin America.

I personally dislike the word "Indian" used in this context, because it perpetuates a stupid error (thinking that these people were from India) and is sometimes confusing. I myself like and often use the word Amerind, which is about 100 years old and has the advantage of not being confused with people from India. Maybe I can start a movement to use the word "amerindos" in Spanish!

Sería más bien los indígenas contra los conquistadores, ¿eh? ;-)