Almighty God vs. God Almighty

Discussion in 'English Only' started by eli7, Feb 9, 2014.

1. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian; Farsi
    Greetings,

Which combination is correct?
    God Almighty
    or
    Almighty God

The word "almighty" is adjective so the second one sounds correct. But I have heard the first one too.

2. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    You won't be surprised to be told that it depends on context. Both are possible, and if we are to help we need to see some sentences to provide the context in which you want to use one of these phrases.

3. DonnyB

DonnyB Senior Member

Coventry, UK
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I must admit I tend to associate "God Almighty" with its use as a rather blasphemous exclamation, like the examples in Urban Dictionary.

The version I'm more familiar with as being used in prayers and church services is "Almighty God".

4. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian; Farsi
    Would you please give me some examples of the different usage of this combination?
    I want to use it in a context to say I appreciate God for giving me the power to... .

5. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    From the King James Version 1611:
    Total occurrences for (God Almighty) is [ 5 ] Total occurrences for (Almighty God) is [ 2 ] Old Testament
    Total occurrences for (God Almighty) is [ 6 ] Total occurrences for (Almighty God) is [ 1 ] New Testament

God only expresses an opinion twice: "Ge:17:1: And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God;" (note the use of the definite article (although Hebrew does not have one.))
    but then:
    "Ge:35:11a: And God said unto him, I am God Almighty:"

But then He changes: Ex:6:3: And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Angels address Him as "Re:11:17: Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty,"

It seems He does not care where the adjective is, and this is understandable as the earliest manuscripts are not in English. Go with the majority and use "God Almighty."

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  6. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian; Farsi
    Thanks a million Paul. :)

7. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    As you said, the ordinary word order today is adjective+noun - thus almighty God. When you have it the other way round, it might reflect French influence (eg attorney general) and it might sound stylised or literary. It depends on how you want to sound.

Here is a well-known prayer (from the Anglican prayer book, known as the collect for purity) as an example with 'almighty God':
    And here's a blessing employing 'God almighty':
    I think the instances of almighty God far exceed the instances of God almighty.

8. icecreamsoldier

icecreamsoldier Senior Member

New Zealand English
    I agree with the comments above, and for most uses I would go with Almighty God, although both are used.

There are also very many songs (hymns and contemporary) that use one or the other purely for stylistic preference.

9. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian; Farsi
    Thanks a tone all :)