along the street and through the street

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by alavalen, Dec 16, 2012.

1. alavalen New Member

What is the difference between these two phrases ( if there is one ) - along the street and through the street? Thank you.
  2. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

Maybe 'through the streets'?
  3. alavalen New Member

No, the whole sentence is: It was impossible for him to carry the axe through the street in his hands.
  4. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

Ну, along the street - это когда кто-то идёт по улице. А топор пронести "сквозь" улицу (по улице) - это несколько другое, я полагаю.
  5. alavalen New Member

Maybe the choice of preposition depends on the effect you produce on the people in the street - so the Queen would always walk through the street, but an unvisible man would always walk along the street. Am I right?
  6. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

Ask this question in English Only. Or wait until Enquiring Mind will visit this thread.

Enquiring Mind, we are waiting for you!;)
  7. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Извините, что опоздал на смену - sorry I'm late for my shift :p.

As Alavalen suggests, there's isn't really much difference between along the street and through the street, and gvozd has hit the nail :)D) on the head in #4.

is the more neutral of the two - (вдоль) по улице, and in fact, your Russian метелица could sweep equally well along the street, through the street, up the street or down the street - there's no practical difference in meaning.

on the other hand, is more likely to be used where your progress is slower, it is somehow impeded, slowed down or held up. (But often you could also use along in this sort of context too.)

The Queen walks through the street because there are large crowds of onlookers, she is surrounded by bodyguards, she waves, and stops to talk to people.
    An invisible man could walk along the street. If it was a busy street with lots of people and traffic, you might say through the street.

In this story from 'The Guardian', the space shuttle makes its way through the streets of LA (slowly, and lots of onlookers). (Along is also possible here.)
    In this story from 'The Independent', the Santas run through the streets of Budapest (lots of onlookers, but along is also possible).
    In this story from 'MK News', the woman had her handbag snatched while she was walking along the street (simple movement, there's no suggestion of crowds of people or slow progress, so through wouldn't be used.)

In your example "it was impossible for him to carry the axe through the street in his hands", the implication is that it was unacceptable and his progress would be slow, because people would stop and gape at him, wondering why he's carrying an axe.

I found some examples of сквозь улицу on the net, where the сквозь/по difference appears to be broadly similar - progress is slow and/or difficult:
    "Нам чтобы попасть в центр сбора карнавальных групп, нужно было пройти сквозь улицу Карла Маркса. Народ начал туда уже стягиваться и на наше появления реагировали уже очень бурно ..." (Source)
    По пути пришлось пройти сквозь улицу-базар. Чего здесь только нет…. (Source)

However, I think through the street is much more common in English than сквозь улицу in Russian, so I don't think they're direct equivalents. You natives
    will be able to judge better than me.
  8. Maroseika Moderator

I think you are right, it's very rare in Russian, but if I heard it, I'd immediately imagine elbowing my way thru the crowd.
  9. gvozd

gvozd Senior Member

Yes, I'd use "сквозь" with such verbs as "пробираться", "продираться", "протискиваться".
  10. alavalen New Member

Thank you very much!!!