alucino pepinillo

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Sammo, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Sammo Senior Member

English
    alucino pepinillo

Hola. :)

He oídio esta frase por ahí. ¿Qué significa? Es algo como un modismo, ¿no?

Gracias.

2. lairlandesa Senior Member

Murcia, Spain
    English Ireland
    In Spain the say 'alucino vecino' - it's just because it rhymes. Alucino (I hallucinate) is somethink like - I'm blown away / it's amazing / WOW

3. Cebolleta

Cebolleta Senior Member

Navarra (Spain)
    Spanish (Spain)
    In Spain, "alucino pepino" is the same as "alucino vecino", as lairlandesa says. It is more usual the version with "vecino". Using the diminutive "pepinillo" insead of "pepino" tries to make it funnier, although this makes the rhyme go away. Think of someone changing "see you later, alligator" into "see you later, crocodile".

Besides lairlandesas's proposals, I've seen it translated as "I'm freaking out".

4. Sammo Senior Member

English
    You're thinking of, "in a while, crocodile" which is the response to "see you later, alligator". :)

So what does, "alucino pepinillo" mean? I'm not clear from yours nor the other poster's replies.

Do you say it when you like something or when you are impressed with something?

5. Cebolleta

Cebolleta Senior Member

Navarra (Spain)
    Spanish (Spain)
    Well, yes and no. I was thinking of someone using "see you later crocodile" instead of "see you later, alligator". If you prefer it, "see you later, caiman", so you don't think of the answer.

You have to like/dislike and be impressed, not only just like/dislike it. You would say it also when you are shocked, surprised or amazed by something. It can have positive or negative tones.