1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

amanecistes [amaneciste]

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Frojas, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Frojas Senior Member

HI friends I want to say this in English "Como amanecistes hoy?" because my friend had a terrible headache yesterday.

my guess is "how did you wake up?" but It sounds weird for me, I would answer that question with the following "I woke up with the alarm", do you understand me?

thank you!

Fred
    p.s. sorry for the interrogation marks and written accents

2. BocaJuniors

BocaJuniors Senior Member

NASA Space Center, Mississippi, USA.
    Spanish & English (parejos y por añales)
    ¡¡¡ Amaneciste, no S !!!

3. karoshi Senior Member

Hermosillo
    Mexican, Spanish
    Por qué no preguntar simplemente How are you today? or Are you feeling better today?...and yes no S at the end of the verb.

4. Jenawen22 Senior Member

Michigan
    United States, English
    I agree. There isn't really a direct translation in English for the phrase "Como amaneciste hoy?". It is better to ask: "How are you feeling today?" or maybe "Did you feel better when you woke up this morning?" or "Are you feeling better today?"

Regarding the "s" at the end. I called my boyfriend out on this same mistake once and his explanation was that the s is correct. However, he wasn't using the tu form, he was using the vos which is only used in certain central and south american country. Does anyone know if the s is correct in vos form of the preterite?

5. BocaJuniors

Again, in this verb, there is no S in the conjugation form, with or vos, that goes for America, Spain or China, even Mars.

The "S" at the end of this verb and other verbs (comistes, despertastes, fuistes, llegastes, etc.) is a very common error among those who lack a solid and formal education.

As mean as it sounds, that is the sad reality. I love and respect all my Hispanic people but "amor no quita conocimiento".

If you still don't believe:
    http://www.wordreference.com/conj/ESverbs.asp?v=amanecer
    http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltConsulta?TIPO_BUS=3&LEMA=amanecer (click on CONJUGAR)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  6. Metzaka

Metzaka Senior Member

Oz
    "Mexican Spanish"
    I Agree 100%!

7. Jenawen22 Senior Member

Michigan
    United States, English
    While I am happy to have an answer to the question, I think it was done in a very rude way. You can call people uneducated because they make a common error if you wish but I think it is unjust. Mistakes similiar to "amanecistes" happen every day in every language, English included. How many very intelligent Americans make similar mistakes everyday--millions! There are many errors that make it into general usage, it's just part of language.

8. Jenawen22 Senior Member

Michigan
    United States, English
    Tambien ninguna de las paginas que has recomendado incluye el conjugacion con vos.

9. BocaJuniors

The conjugation form for vos is comiste, same as ... still , no S.

10. Jenawen22 Senior Member

Michigan
    United States, English
    Lo siento por no poner los tildes pero no es posible con mi computadora.

11. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    [QUOTEBocaJuniors] The "S" at the end of this verb and other verbs (comistes, ..., etc.) is a very common error [/quote]
    This is indeed a very common error, heard often in Spain and apparently widespread thoughout the Spanish-speaking world. So widespread that maybe one day the RAE will recognise it, just as it -rashly, in my opinion- dropped the "P" from "neumático" and "neumonía", thereby legimitising what had previously been an error.
    You may have noticed that the "vosotros" form does end with an "S".
    "Amanecistes" and "amanecisteis" are almost indistiguishable in pronunciation. Perhaps your boyfriend was speaking to more than one person.
    saludos