Amar no es mirarse el uno al otro; es mirar juntos en la misma dirección

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by gastoncoma, Jan 11, 2008.

1. gastoncoma Junior Member

New Zealand
    Argentina, Spanish
    Me gustaria saber cual seria la traduccion de esta frase: “Amar no es mirarse el uno al otro; es mirar juntos en la misma dirección”

Gracias,
    Gaston

2. Tezzaluna

Tezzaluna Senior Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
    US English and Costa Rica Spanish
    Dear Gaston,

Love does not mean looking at one another: it means looking together in the same direction.

Tezza

3. Sinhote Senior Member

Galicia, Spain - Galician, Spanish
    Loving isn't look to each other; it is looking together in the same direction.

Saludos

4. Tezzaluna

Tezzaluna Senior Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
    Sinhote,

Perhaps you need to revise the first part of your response. As it stands, it does not make sense.

Tezza

5. gastoncoma Junior Member

New Zealand
    Argentina, Spanish
    thank you!

6. Sinhote Senior Member

Galicia, Spain - Galician, Spanish
    You're right! (how couldn't? :D). I forgot the -ing in look and used a wrong preposition (and, even though, I am afraid it doesn't sound very well).

Loving isn't looking at each other;it is looking together in the same direction.

Thank you, Tezza.

7. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    Well, Saint Exupery´s quote usually gets transalted into English as: "...love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking outward together in the same direction."

8. Tezzaluna

Tezzaluna Senior Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
    I googled the phrase and found this:

To love is not to look into each other’s eyes, but to look together in the same direction.

Tezza

9. velero Senior Member

English
    To love is not to direct the eye one upon the other; it is to gaze outward and together in the same direction.