1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Amas de casa eran las de antes

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Gamen, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Gamen Senior Member

Near Buenos Aires
    Spanish Argentina

Some time ago, I saw an advertising sign/ notice saying (in Spanish): "Amas de casa eran las de antes"
    How could I say this in English?

My attempt:
    Housewives were those ones of yesteryear.

t doesn't sound very idiomatic, I think!

2. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    The meaning of the phrase is not clear. What was the advertisement for? What does it mean?

Please give us background information every time you open a thread in this forum.

3. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    Is this saying that women should have more freedom and such? If so, I would say "housewives are so last year." But I don't know if I understand right.

4. Spanish Clutz

Spanish Clutz Senior Member

Quizás: Housewives were from yesteryear.

5. Gamen Senior Member

Near Buenos Aires
    Spanish Argentina
    The advertisement intended to show that in the past housewives should work hard in the house to keep it clean, tidy and in order. Now, with the advance of technology and with the "cutting edge electric oven", the product that is promoted in the advertisement, housewives live in the paradise, they don't have so much work as before.

6. Spanish Clutz

Although this isn't a literal transition, in light of your explanation, I would say it means something like...

Housewives are from yesteryear!

7. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    Está difícil...
    Housewives are not what they use to be (ambiguo)
    They don´t make housewives as they used to.(máh o menoh)

8. Gamen Senior Member

Near Buenos Aires
    Spanish Argentina
    I think: "housewives are from yesteryear" or "Housewives are not what they used to be yesteryear" are good option and reflect what I was trying to mean.

How does it suit with a "those"?
    "housewives are (those) from yesteryear" /"housewives are (those) from the old days" (does it sound well?)
    A native will be able to tell me if it sounds well or not!

9. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    Por qué yesteryear y no "past"?
    Estuve leyendo los comerciales de ATMA y me parece que la propuesta de Tazzler (#3) es la que mejor se ajusta.

10. Spanish Clutz

I think Tazzler (#3) is a fine option also.

To say, however, "Housewives are from the past", to me, doesn't quite sound right.

However, saying, "The work/daily grind of the housewife is in the past" sounds very good. :)

To me, I'm afraid none of these options sound quite right either:

"Housewives are not what they used to be yesteryear" "housewives are (those) from yesteryear" /"housewives are (those) from the old days"

However, saying, "The job of today's housewife is very different from that of the past" does sound good. :)

I suggested "housewives are from yesteryear" because I liked your use of the word 'yesteryear'. It's a bit antiquaited and to me it fit the context. However, from an advertising perspective, either Tazzler's suggestion or the :) suggestions are probably your better fits.

11. Gamen Senior Member

Near Buenos Aires
    Spanish Argentina
    I think the idea the advertisement tries to convey is: "(the real) Housewives were those of the past" / (the real) Housewives were those of the old days". More literally would be with "before" (The housewives were those from before/from the past"
    Does any of these sound good to you?

Does Tazzler's suggestion mean the same as I put above? Last year is not taken literally, right?
    "housewives are so last year. (tazzler's)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  12. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    What I get from the ads is that it means "Real housewives are a thing of the past".
    You can change Tazzler's suggestion to "Housewives are so yesterday" if you wish.

13. Spanish Clutz

"(the real) Housewives were those of the past" / (the real) Housewives were those of the old days".

These sounds fine, however, Moritzchen put it in a more colloquial / natural way when he/she said:

"Real housewives are a thing of the past".

(The housewives were those from before/from the past") - doesn't work as well.

14. Gamen Senior Member

Near Buenos Aires
    Spanish Argentina
    ok, for sure I must be being interferred by my Spanish structures.
    So, the best options would be:
    "(real) Housewives are so last year / (real) Housewives are so yesterday" "Real housewives are a thing of the past".
    These are those you "buy" or that " it is best sold". Is that so?

Mine must look like translation purely taken from my way of setting up phrases in Spanish!
    "(the real) Housewives were those of the past" / (the real) Housewives were those of the old days". More literally would be with "before" (The housewives were those from before/from the past"

15. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    He, please.

16. Spanish Clutz

That's correct Gamen. For what it's worth I think "housewives are a thing of the past" is your best option.

Lo siento, Moritzchen.

17. Sunshine on Leith Senior Member

Edinburgh
    Spain's Spanish
    Taking the work out of housework.

They used to call it housework for a reason.

18. johnnycomps New Member

Tennesse, USA
    English
    Anything can be "so last year" to denote "outdated". This is a very modern term more geared towards the younger crowd. So, I would lean towards "housewives are so last year" if your target audience is young and "housewives are a thing of the past" if your target audience is more mature.

19. Spanish Clutz

Excellent point Johnnycomps. :)

And Sunshine on Leith, I agree with your sentiments!