1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Amended Verified Complaint

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by Alenya, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Alenya Junior Member

São Paulo, Brazil
    Italy - italian
    Hello,

I am translating a marriage annulment judgement and came across: Plaintiff presented an Amended Verified Complaint? Who can explain what type of complaint this is? I would also need a translation of this into Portuguese.

Thanks in advance,

Alenya

2. Leandro

Leandro Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Brazil - Portuguese
    Hi, as far as I could understand I would say:

O denunciador apresentou uma Denúncia Verificada Aditada/Retificada.

Plaintiff = denunciador, autor de demanda judicial, parte queixosa, querelante, demandante

I hope this helps.

3. Benvindo Senior Member

Brazil, Portuguese
    Alenya, this is the first time I see this expression. To try to figure out what it means, I'll first divide it in its three elements, so we have:

a) "Complaint": besides "denúncia", could also be "queixa", "petição". I think you'll have to choose what best fits your context;

b) "Amended" could also be "modificada", "revisada";

c) From my searches on the net, I learned that "verified" in this context means that the complaint was signed before a notary public (source: this and this). In PT I think we could use "registrada em cartório".

Now "synthesizing (sorry, I'm an engineer)" (putting together) b + c + a we have:

Queixa/petição/demanda revisada registrada em cartório.

Hope it helps!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  4. Leandro

Leandro Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Brazil - Portuguese
    Benvindo, "Verified Complaint" is a boilerplate law terminology. In Brazil it's commonly used as "denúncia/queixa verificada/comprovada".

5. Benvindo Senior Member

Brazil, Portuguese
    But then what, exactly, does "verificada/comprovada" mean in this case (verificada/comprovada in what sense)? Does this "verificada/comprovada" still imply that the complaint must be signed before a notary? I've found translations like "plainte assermentée" in French, "denuncia giurata" in Italian, "bajo protesta de decir verdad" in Spanish, which all point to something close to "registrada em cartório" ou mesmo "juramentada" in PT. But to be frank, I also found many other translations in these languages with something like "denuncia verificada" (ES), "accusa verificata" (IT), which are closer to your suggestion, so I'm doubt now. Note that I'm not saying that the expression "denúncia verificada/comprovada" does not exist in PT, it certainly does, but my doubt is: is its meaning in PT the same as "verified complaint" in English ("a verification is an affidavit which swears to the truth of the pleading...") or are we dealing with "false friends"?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  6. coolbrowne Senior Member

Bethesda, MD - USA
    Português-BR/English-US bilingual
    Not exactly
    In this context, "Verified" means that the statement author (in this case, the complainant = denunciante) must swear to it (prestar juramento) before a notary, which is, therefore, the verification agent, and the document essentially becomes an affidavit. In Brazil, the usual tem for notary verification is "autenticação", while the "swearing to it" part is tends to become irrelevant after the fact (*). Therefore
    Verified complaint - Denúncia autenticada
    Of course, "amended" simply means that it's some modification of the original complaint. In Brazilian legal terminology,
    Amended verified complaint - Denúncia autenticada averbada
    ---------------------------------------------
    (*) Note que, mesmo que essa parte fosse relevante, "juramentada" não se aplicaria. Este termo é usado para pessoas (ou entidades) que se obrigam a algo mediante juramento (juramento de ofício)

7. Alenya Junior Member

São Paulo, Brazil
    Italy - italian
    Yes, Coolbrowne, your answer convinced me and it sounds like the best alternative in this case. Thanks to you I´ve learned one more and I greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks again,

Alenya

8. Benvindo Senior Member

Brazil, Portuguese
    Sim, concordo; eu mencionei juramentada apenas como um paralelo a formas que encontrei em francês e italiano: plainte assermentée/denuncia giurata (também não sei com que frequência essas expressões são usadas nos respectivos países); não se aplica ao Brasil no presente contexto.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009