1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

American para toda América

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by nola81, Jun 28, 2008.

1. nola81

nola81 Junior Member

Spain, Spanish
    Hola: Me gustaría saber cómo se puede decir claramente que se está hablando de algo americano referente a toda América, no sólo a EEUU. Sólo se me ocurre 'American', pero como es el gentilicio de EEUU a lo mejor es confuso.
    Un saludo
    Muchas gracias

2. dinis.dinis Senior Member

USA/English
    You might consider using New World or Western Hemisphere as a noun adjunct/attributive noun (i.e. adjectivally).

As in:

New World foods or Foods from the New World

Western Hemisphere commercial agreements

The people and languages of the New World

Ever Yours,
    Dinis

3. María Madrid

María Madrid Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish Spain
    I beg to disagree. Europe is in the Western Hemisphere and we're certainly not American! Maybe you could say something like "from the Americas" "from all over the American continent"...

Personally I refuse to accept that American is to be solely used for citizens of the US. Peruvians or Mexicans are as entitled to call themselves Americans as Texans. Saludos, :)

4. dinis.dinis Senior Member

USA/English
    Not always in English, Maria; See:

The Western Hemisphere, also Western hemisphere[1] or western hemisphere,[2] is a geographical term for the half of the Earth that lies west of the Prime Meridian (which crosses Greenwich in London, England, United Kingdom), the other half being the eastern hemisphere.[3] It is also used to specifically refer to the Americas (or the New World) and adjacent waters, while excluding other territories that lie geographically in the hemisphere (parts of Africa, Europe, Antarctica, and Asia); thus, it is sometimes referred to as the American hemisphere.[4] Western hemisphere is sometimes used as an equivalent for the geopolitical construct, the Western World, which typically includes the Americas, Europe and Australia.

At least here in the States, we often have recourse to the second meaning given (perhaps because our own surrounding reality is foremost in our awareness and, in any case, even basing oneself on the first geographical definition, very little of Europe lies west of Greenwich, England! On the otherhand, Europe Is included in the term W.H. as a geopolitical construct.)

Lastly, I would like to point out that there are times when the term American is unambiguous in English as in the American continents or the American nations.

Best Regards,
    Dinis

5. María Madrid

María Madrid Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish Spain
    Well, Britain, part of France, most of Spain and all of Portugal, Ireland, Iceland and Greenland are certainly on the "right side" of the Greenwich Meridian, so that would be enough not to use "Western Hemisphere" to refer to the American continent if we want to be accurate.

As for the text you quoted:
    it sounds to me as a very obvious inaccuracy and I've never heard that use in Europe. Even if it's the preferred term by most Americans or not, the Western Hemisphere does include European countries and I'm not specially keen on using inaccurate terms. Saludos, :)

6. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Bienvenida al foro, Nola81.

Lo más apropriado depende del contexto. Por ejemplo, con flora y fauna decimos regularmente "New World", pero con gentes solemos decir "of the Americas". "American" se puede usar en contextos donde el intento es obvio.

7. dinis.dinis Senior Member

USA/English
    María,

When I was going through the educational system here in the States(partly in Spanish), we often referred to the collection of
    Spanish-language literary works from Hispanic America as La Literatura Americana to the exclusion of any English or French authors of the New World. This usage, though less frequent nowadays, is still current on this side of the globe. See:

http://www.cultuamericas.org/litamer.html

This may not be quite fair but one fights with the devil to uproot an established linguistic convention!

When the royal subjects of the English colonies in North America decided to fight for their independence. It was already the custom in the British Empire to refer to the colonists here as Americans.

At the time, it did not seem arrogant for these patriots to refer to their New Nation as the United States of America simply because they constituted the only independent nation in the New World at that period and, then, Spain's empire seemed eternal!

Mexico was still New Spain. New France (Canada et La Nouvelle Acadie) had but recently fallen to the the English Monarchy. Brazil was, of course, also a royal colony.

[I respect the linguistic conventions of Spanish (with Mexican Spanish as my target dialect). Even should I wish to change those conventions, I am not in a position to do so!]

So I say American for my nationality in English but Norteamericano in Spanish. I agree with you, though, that in Spanish one should resist the current trend to reserve the adjective Americano for the citizens of this country. In Spanish such a usage seems disrespectful of the traditions of the language and demeaning to our Sister Republics here, in the New World.

Best Regards,
    Dinis

8. dinis.dinis Senior Member

USA/English
    María,

You are perfectly free to say whatever you please and if you choose not to use the linguistic forms in vogue outside of Europe; by all means, do so.

We, of course, have our own usage here in the Americas, where the majority of English and Spanish-speakers are found, and neither would we consider switching to those forms and usages not understood here. My own city, Los Angeles, is bilingual with a de facto majority of Spanish-speakers.

Enjoy our dear Spanish Motherland as much as we do our New World Homeland! A chaque oiseau son nid est beau!

Have a Great Weekend,
    Dinis Martínez

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  9. No_C_Nada Senior Member

Castillian - Perú
    Sí, es un poco confuso. Si se confunden, se les puede explicar que "American" se refiere a todo el continente.

Así, uno puede decir, "I am American-born, not born in the United States."

Francisco Pizarro and Simón Bolívar were in America.

Pancho Villa is an American hero, but not a hero from the United States.

10. ampurdan

ampurdan Modstachioed modnster

jiā tàiluó ní yà
    Català & español (Spain)
    Por favor, recuerden la pregunta del hilo:

No se piden opiniones sobre lo adecuado o poco adecuado de las expresiones que se usan en inglés o en castellano, sino simplemente cuáles son las que se usan. Hemos tenido muchas y largas discusiones sobre estos otros temas. Por favor, cíñánse a la pregunta del hilo. Cualquier mensaje o comentario que se desvíe será borrado.

El moderador.