Amicae Musicum or Musicum Amicae

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by crazyguitarjeli, Dec 24, 2012.

1. crazyguitarjeli New Member

English
    I'm figuring out a name for my Duo and really like something concerning "musical friends" in Latin. Since both members are female, it would be either amicae musicum or musicum amicae. I think that the adjective goes after the noun as in French but would like to be certain. Is "Amicae Musicum" grammatically correct?

Thank you for your help!

2. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Greetings, seasonal as well as otherwise, to everyone here.
    Unfortunately as it stands, amicae musicum (Amicae Musicum) does not make sense. Amicae is fine, but music- in any form presents difficulties as originaily the word is Greek (Latinised Musa = "Muse", and its derivative adjective musice, pronounced roughly "moose-i-kay", is short for musike techne, "artistic skill". You could have amicae musices ([female] friends of music], or amicae musicales.

But I have another suggestion. There were in Greek mythology nine Muses, each of whom presided over a specific genre of literature or the other arts (e.g. Terpsichore, goddess of the dance). For your purposes you could do worse than amicae Eratonis, as Erato was the Muse of what we call "music" - Eratonis is the Latin genitive (i.e. possessive) form of her name, and it would not matter grammatically whether you call yourselves "Eratonis Amicae" or "Amicae Eratonis". To my ear, the former sounds sleeker and more memorable.

Or how about just "Erato"?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  3. jrundin Senior Member

USA, English
    I like Scholiast's suggestion "amicae musicales," though that might mean something more
    like "educated mistresses." His idea of going with Erato is brilliant.

4. eb110262 Junior Member

English
    On the contrary, there are other (esteemed) musical groups that use the word 'musicum' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collegium_Musicum). Although I doubt it is classical Latin, my dictionary has 'musicus' as an adjective meaning 'to do with music'.

Also, Latin has a tendency to Latinise Greek words, so the word 'musica, -ae' also exists as a noun.

So 'Amicae Musicae' and 'Musicae Amicae' could both work.

On a personal note, I think Eratonis sounds a bit like something 'erotic'... Perhaps Amicae Musarum might work as well ('Friends of the Muses')?

5. jrundin Senior Member

USA, English
    "musicus" has to do with the muses, which include all the arts, including science and writing history, for that matter.
    That's why museums are not just music halls. Still, your point is correct. In Latin, musicus
    does mostly have to do with music as we understand it. But it does potentially have
    a broader semantic range than "music." I was playing with this notion when I translated "amicae musicales"
    as "educated mistresses." (I was tempted to write "skilled" or "high-priced hookers," but that struck
    me as gratuitous buffoonery on my part.)

"musicalis" is post-classical. It may be restricted to music as we think of it; I don't know.

But "amica" is a loaded word. By the logic of Latin, an "amica" is likely to be
    a mistress. Women who are "friends" are entering the men's world of
    "amicitia," and that's the role of the demimondaine. If this group
    wants to stress their friendship, it might be safer referring
    to themselves as "sorores" or something with a bit less carnal baggage. Or maybe
    as "sociae" or as a "societas."

On the other hand, an ancient audience would assume that woman entertainers
    were of the demimonde, so maybe "amicae" is o.k. after all.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  6. jrundin Senior Member

USA, English
    Oh, and when all is said and done, I'd probably go with something like "sorores musicae."
    "Musician Sisters."

7. Angelo di fuoco Senior Member

Germany
    Russian & German (GER) bilingual
    Just Erato wouldn't be fine, since there was (is?) a discographical label called Erato and you would have to compete withe that one in the browsers.