1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Explicit_Mami Senior Member

Back in MI
    USA and English
    hola a todos..

When you love someone in non-sexual or romantic way, Is "Amor platonico" the appropriate phrase to use? or is there anything else you can use instead of Amor platonico?

2. aurilla Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Am Eng/PR Spanish
    "puppy love" / "a crush"

3. dinube Senior Member

spanish
    Amor platonico es lo que decimos normalmente

4. Explicit_Mami Senior Member

Back in MI
    USA and English

Wait.. Amor platonico means a crush?

5. Explicit_Mami Senior Member

Back in MI
    USA and English
    So when you call someone " amor platonico" no hay sexual tension there right?

6. dinube Senior Member

spanish
    Amor platonico is kind of love without hope, one way love, idealistic.
    Amor platonico is also a spiritual one.

7. Explicit_Mami Senior Member

Back in MI
    USA and English
    Ah.... I had no idea. A friend of mine kept telling me that I'm his "amor platonico" and I assumed he meant "a good friend or a best friend"

when I eventually asked him what he meant by "Amor platonico" he didn't say anything.

what do you think he meant?

8. Dudu678

Dudu678 Senior Member

Madrid
    Español (España)
    When someone says that, it means that he is in love with that person, but the other person doesn't love him back, it's an impossible love and it turns idealistic, as dinube said.

9. Explicit_Mami Senior Member

Back in MI
    USA and English

So basically " Tu eres mi amor platonico" means " I love you but our love is never going to happen" right?

10. Dudu678

Dudu678 Senior Member

Madrid
    Español (España)
    More or less. Platónico implies no sexual contact and an idealized love. As you can see, that's not the conventional way a couple experience love.

11. Idiomático Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Latin American Spanish
    If you are asking what amor platónico is in English, the correct expression is Platonic love.

12. cucus Senior Member

Spain spanish
    If you don't like him in a sexual or romantic way, I'd say: "tener cariño" something like "to be fond of"
    Ex: le tengo (mucho) cariño.

Is that what you look for?

13. La Bella Otero Senior Member

España-Español
    "Tener cariño" is not the same than "platonic love" or "amor platónico". "Tener cariño" is something you can say to your father, your best friend or your dog, but, when you say "amor platónico", then your are saying you are in love with somenone but in an idealistic way. For example, your favorit film star or that wonderful boy who live next door.

14. Explicit_Mami Senior Member

Back in MI
    USA and English

Now that makes A LOT OF SENSE. Muchas Gracias!!!!

15. Dudu678

Dudu678 Senior Member

Madrid
    Español (España)
    Let me add something. As it's been already said, platónico = platonic. So, here's a definition:

It's not as rich as La Bella Otero's comment, though.

16. Explicit_Mami Senior Member

Back in MI
    USA and English

I also looked for the definition, but the results were not very satisfying to me. Thank you for the help, though.

17. black_eyes082

black_eyes082 Senior Member

Chile, Spanish
    Amor platónico se refiere a un 'amor imposible', por ejemplo el famoso actor Michael Emerson es mi amor platónico, en inglés esto sería My impossible love ??

18. Explicit_Mami Senior Member

Back in MI
    USA and English

So even though amor platonico's literal translation is platonic love in English but there's a connotation difference between two, huh?

19. Idiomático Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Latin American Spanish

There is no different connotation. Here's the dictionary definition of amor platónico:

platónico, -a
    adj. De Platón. ¤ adj. y n. Seguidor de su filosofía.
    2 Se aplica a los sentimientos o actitudes que tienen aspecto puramente *espiritual; que no se manifiestan o traducen en actos: ‘Amor platónico. Admiración platónica’.

20. Idiomático Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Latin American Spanish
    It seems to me that Platonic Love and Amor Platonico are two very different things indeed.

Eyes, platonic love is amor platónico, trust me. Iif you and your Mexican girlfriend were having sex, the amor between the two of you was not platónico even if she called it by that name. She simply does not know what amor platónico means.

21. Idiomático Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Latin American Spanish
    I grant that I have not recently researched the definition of girlfriend and affair, but I have looked up platónico and can assure you that having sex does not enter into the picture. People often do use words incorrectly, as I'm sure you know.

22. Franzi Senior Member

Astoria, NY
    (San Francisco) English
    People misuse "platonic love" in English too. The wikipedia article has plenty of rambling about the various ways people have used it. I don't see much difference in the definition given in the Spanish article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonic_love

23. jeancatogo New Member

spanish
    we use amor platonico in spanish meaning that its an impossible love, very very impossible to reach, like famous actors, or ppl we know we prob wont meet, ... the true meaning would be a pure love that doesnt need sexual things or sex, but thats the initial meaning, but when we use it as a slang has the impossible love meaning!
    and a crush is something else...

24. rmiller22 Junior Member

U.S.--English
    As a reply to those who insist that "amor platonico" equals "platonic love" in English--
    Yes, the two phrases literally have the same translation... however, I have heard the phrase "amor platonico" used frequently in Columbian telenovelas to mean an impossible or unreturned love. "Platonic love" is not a common English phrase and not something you would probably ever hear (at least in the U.S.-- I don't want to speak for all English speakers in the world). We do have a similar phrase and that is "unrequited love" which is a love that goes one-way, it is not returned. That's why it usually isn't helpful when someone just gives a dictionary definition in this forum-- we can all look words up in the dictionary, but what we want to know is what people actually say and use commonly, which the dictionary doesn't always do a good job of describing.
    We do use the word "platonic" to describe a friendship that has no sexual connotation, but we wouldn't pair that word with love... we might say that it is a platonic relationship, or platonic friendship, or mor likely "just a friend" to clarify that it is not love, just a friendship.

25. Franzi Senior Member

Astoria, NY
    (San Francisco) English
    I hear "platonic love" all the time (and I'm an AE speaker); it just doesn't mean the same thing as that "amor platonico" from those telenovelas.

However, looking at people's responses here and flamewars elsewhere, it is clear that "platonic love" and "amor platonico" are both used for both entirely non-sexual love and for romantic love that cannot be consumated. Individual speakers generally use only one of the two meanings and think that the other one is incorrect. It may be that the term is used more overall with one meaning in Spanish and the other in English, but if you look, you'll certainly see native Spanish speakers labeling that usage from the telenovela as an uneducated mistake, just like you'll see that kind of argument in English.

26. rmiller22 Junior Member

U.S.--English
    Well, at least we agree that "platonic love" doesn't mean the same as "amor platonico." I'm curious in what context you would use "platonic love" in English and what would it mean? Because if someone said to me "you're my platonic love" I would have no idea what it meant. It doesn't have a set meaning in English, certainly it doesn't mean "unrequited love" as the corresponding Spanish phrase seems to in certain parts of Latin America. I wasn't trying to say it is grammatically incorrect, just that it would not be commonly understood by most English speaking people and would require some kind of explanation.

27. Franzi Senior Member

Astoria, NY
    (San Francisco) English
    Sure it does. It refers to non-sexual love. It's just that it's a bit academic, so you might not hear it in every context. You also wouldn't say "you're my platonic love"; it's not that sense of the word 'love'. Normally, you'd discuss "sexual love vs. platonic love" or something like that. Take a look on google: there are plenty of blog posts about whether men and women can just be friends that contain comments like "there is no such thing as platonic love".

28. ahcwarcry New Member

Spanish
    What he/she meant is that he/she is in love but thinks it's impossible. That's why your friend didn't say anything when you asked him for what that meant.

29. maxpapic Senior Member

Tampa, FL
    español - República Dominicana
    I've only heard "platonic relationship/friendship" in English, whatever that's worth.