Amore mio

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by adiuliano, Feb 25, 2005.

1. adiuliano New Member

US and English
    Hi -

It has been a long while since I last took an Italian Class. I was wondering if amore mio was interchangable if a man or woman is speaking it? As a female, I need to know if amore mio is appropriate to say or do I need to change it to indicate that a female is saying it?

I was also wondering if my love was amore mio or mio amore? I have heard it both ways and I didn't know what was correct.

2. Manuela Senior Member

Italy -Italian/English

you would use it for male or female
    it's better to say: amore mio (my love-- my darling, my sweetheart..)
  3. adiuliano New Member

US and English
    Thanks.. My family is Italian, but I grew up in the US. I have been trying to master the language for a few years now.. And I'm still working on it!

I'm having amore mio engraved on my fiance's wedding ring.. I just wanted to make sure that I did it correctly. I just wanted to bring in a little bit of heritage into our wedding.

4. Eugin

Eugin Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina (Spanish)
    Hi Danielle, your idea sounds so romantic!!!!! I love that, being in the 21st Century, men and women alike can still think of these "little" but enduring details with one another.
    Congratulations for the wedding!!!!
    Best regards,
  5. herleyhills New Member

Dubai UAE
    Philippines- Filipino

is it possible to say Amore mia for female and amore mio for male?
    or "amore mio" denotes both for male and female?
  6. morgana

morgana Senior Member

"mio" refers to "amore" which is always a male word, no matter who says it to whom. :)
  7. Gabiniguez Junior Member

I want to say pretty adjectives to my Boyfriend, he's Italian but I don't want the typical "Amore Mio", I want something sweeter than that.. maybe a "Sweety" or "Honey" or simply "Babe - Baby"..

Thank you So much..!
  8. TrentinaNE Senior Member

English (American)
    Try this thread (also listed in the sticky), and try looking up sweetie and honey in the WR dictionary. ;)

9. Gabiniguez Junior Member

Thank you SO muck :)
  10. AntonioDelMastro New Member

American English
    cucciolo, tesoro, bambino, gioa,
  11. Eugin

Eugin Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina (Spanish)
    Excuse me, but "mio" refers to my and "amore" to love....
  12. TrentinaNE Senior Member

English (American)
    I think Morgana was merely pointing out to herlyhills that mio/mia must agree with the gender of the noun to which it refers/is associated. I don't think anyone was confused about the fact that mia/mio means my and amore means love. ;)