ampio mandato

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by trinitalian, Nov 30, 2007.

1. trinitalian Senior Member

Hello folks,
    how would you translate the following sentence:
    Al presidente-amministratore delegato e' stato conferito ampio mandato per modificare il regolamento....?
    I thought of something like: A wide mandate has been given to the president managing director in order to modify the regulation.
    Could you please check it?
    Thank you

2. pescara Senior Member

Connecticut
    English-USA
    Direi:
    The president-managing director has been given a broad mandate to modify the regulation.

Ciao.

3. Kraus Senior Member

Italian, Italy
    Is it possible to use the term "remit" instead of "mandate"?

4. ngmuipai Junior Member

NYC
    USA, English
    No. "Remit" can mean cancel, pass on, send, pay, postpone...but is always a verb. Here, "mandate" is a noun, meaning authority.

5. baldpate

baldpate Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    Are you sure, ngmuipai? Perhaps this is difference in BE/AE usage? I would certainly use "remit" as a noun with a meaning similar to that of "mandate" or "authority".

"The hiring and firing of salespersons is certainly within my remit, as sales manager".

"Assumere e licenziare i commessi sta certamente nella mia autorita', in quanto dirigente commercio" [sorry - don't know how to say it properly in italian]

6. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    I've found the term "remit" a few times and always as a noun meaning the area which a person has responsibility for or control over.

7. ngmuipai Junior Member

NYC
    USA, English
    I can only guess that it's a UK thing -- I've never heard that usage in the States.
    The OED has both the definitions Paul and baldpate mention -- RH lists it as a verb, except for a legal term meaning the transfer of a court record.

8. trinitalian Senior Member

So what would you all think is more appropriate in my original sentence?

9. ngmuipai Junior Member

NYC
    USA, English
    Quella di pescara mi sembra perfetta: "The president-managing director has been given a broad mandate to modify the regulation." The use of "remit" would certainly be foreign to AE speakers.

10. baldpate

baldpate Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    I agree with ngmuipai, given the evident difference in AE/BE usage.

11. trinitalian Senior Member

Thank you all!
    Ciao