análisis semántico/sintáctico

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Diddy, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Diddy Senior Member

C.A. Spanish
    Hola forum!!!

Tengo una gran duda en el análisis semántico/sintáctico en inglés sobre núcleos del sujeto y núcleos del predicado simples y compuestos, que les agradecería me ayudaran a aclarar:

En las siguientes oraciones:

1. The office will be closed on monday.
    2. The office will be closed by Mary. (voz pasiva)
    3. On September 6, the office will be closed.

Cómo se consideraría: will be closed

1. como un solo núcleo (verbo principal más verbos auxiliares); o
    2. will be como núcleo (verbo copulativo) y closed como predicativo nominativo por estar después de un verbo copulativo y que por ser adjetivo modifica al núcleo del sujeto: office.

Cualquiera que fuera la respuesta, se aplicaría de igual manera en las tres oraciones, o en la No.2, por estar en voz pasiva se analizaría de otra menera?

Gracias por su ayuda,
  2. mhp Senior Member

American English
    As far as I know, they are analyzed differently: "The office is closed" can be either active or passive. In both cases, "the office" is the subject of the sentence. In a passive sentence, "is closed" is considered the passive verb. This can be followed by an active agent: It is closed by Mary. In the active sentence, "is" is the linking verb and "closed" is the predicate adjective. (it is not nominal)
  3. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Voz pasiva en la no. 2; más probablemente closed es "predicate adjective" en la 1 y la 3, pero éstas son ambiguas.
  4. Diddy Senior Member

C.A. Spanish
    Thanks mph and forero for your help!!!

will be closed - sentences 1 and 3:

will be = linking verb
    closed = predicate adjective- modifying the subject: office

will be closed - sentence 2 :

will be closed = passive verb (as a whole), cannot be separated to be analyzed as in sentences 1 and 3?

Do you think that is correct?

Thanks in advance
  5. mhp Senior Member

American English
    Yes. :)

To be picky, 'the office' is the subject and 'office' is the nucleus. :D

Sentences 1 & 3 are generally understood as active sentences. But as Forero points out, a passive interpretation is not impossible.
  6. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Sentence 2 is passive voice. Sentences 1 and 3 can be analyzed either way, with the linking verb + pred. adj. meaning the most likely.

The sentence "The office will be closed on Monday and reopened on Friday" is in passive voice.
  7. mhp Senior Member

American English

Forero's example is a bit tricky. "open/opened" is one of few adjectives/participles in English that distinguish the two voices:

The office is open: Always active.
    The office is opened: Always passive.
  8. Diddy Senior Member

C.A. Spanish
    Thanks a lot to both of you... now I have that clear...I hope so!!!!

Just one thing mph: I have been reading these concepts:

complete subject = zona del sujeto
    (simple) subject = núcleo del sujeto

predicate = zona del predicado
    predicate = núcleo del predicado
    (no distinction betwee both)

mmm.......I did not find a word such as : nucleus (gramatically speaking)...
    ...maybe it is because it depends on the textbook used?

Look at this definitions:
    "The simple most important word in the group of words in which the subject is located is the simple subject. The complete subject is the simple subject along with all the words that pattern with it...."
    "With some sentences, answering a simple 'who?' or 'what?' questions identifies the simple subject of the sentence."
    "The predicate of a sentence is all the words that do not pattern with the subject..."
    However, reading through the whole chapter, they use subject when referring either to the "complete subject" or to the "simple subject"; and predicate only, but they do not mention "nucleus"...??

I will made a research abouth these concepts...

9. mhp Senior Member

American English
    You are right. I've been looking around and it seems that in English grammar we don't use that word. Of course, it is used in Spanish grammar, and that's where I 'borrowed' that word from. :)
  10. Diddy Senior Member

C.A. Spanish
    OK mhp, thanks again!!!...we have learnt something new today, and that is the purpose to be in this forum...learn, learn, learn.
    Have a nice day!!!
  11. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Not all grammatical terminology is as straightforward as "nucleus". :)
  12. Ynez Senior Member

I was trying to find the word: nucleus, core, center.....nothing :)

But I've finally found it! --> Head

The definition may still not be exactly the same as in Spanish. Anyhow, I think in English there is not this tradition for splitting sentences and playing with them, is there?
  13. mhp Senior Member

American English
    I would have never guessed, but you are right it is called the head of the subject phrase (el núcleo del sujeto, o sea sintagma nominal)--nice piece of detective work. :)
  14. Ynez Senior Member

I was really interested :)
  15. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    So the head of "will be closed on Monday" is "will", because it carries the grammatical tense and the infinitive "be" is subordinate to it. "Head" may not be the same thing as "núcleo (verbo principal más verbos auxiliares)".

Or perhaps "will" is both the head of the head and the "núcleo del núcleo".

Doesn't "head" sometimes refer to the conjunction or pronoun that signals the beginning of a subordinate clause?
  16. mhp Senior Member

American English
    The boy that told me you were on vacation was lying.

Subject phrase = The boy that told me you were on vacation
    verb = to lie

The head (núcleo) of a subject phrase is a noun or pronoun, 'boy' in this case.
  17. Ynez Senior Member

That is called core (modal verb).

And yes, in the part of a sentence like "in the garden", it seems in is the prepositional head.

That's why I said the concept is not exactly the same as the Spanish núcleo, but the noun head in particular is el núcleo del sintagma nominal.