an <admittedly> inadequate treatment

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Seeker16, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Seeker16 New Member

Russia, Russian
    Hi, can anybody please help me with the word 'admittedly'? The thing is, according to some dictionaries it may mean either 'by general admission/confession' (as has been admitted) or 'by personal admission' (it must be admitted, I admit that... etc.) So I wonder if there are any criteria to distinguish between the two (depending on the word's position in the sentence etc.) In particular, which meaning is implied here: 'an admittedly inadequate treatment'? Thank you in anticipation.

2. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    Only context can tell you whether the admission is general or personal. If it is personal it will tend to go with a confession containing: "admittedly, I/we...".

In this case it would seem to be of the general kind: this example phrase is accompanied by the definition "as has been or must be admitted", not necessarily by the speaker. However, this could also be interpreted as a personal admission in that the speaker admits that he or she knows that such a reservation exists, and thus (for example) their argument is weakened. I think the distinction is often a weak one in itself.

3. Seeker16 New Member

Russia, Russian
    Thank you ever so much for your advice, dear Matching Mole. So it turns out that even native speakers of English may occasionally find it ambiguous when coming across 'admittedly'?

4. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Welcome to the forum, Seeker.

There is always ambiguity when a person speaks for a group or a passive construction is used. On the other hand, at least we know the person saying "admittedly" is willing to admit that the treatment has been inadequate.

5. Seeker16 New Member

Russia, Russian
    Thank you very much, Forero. Could you please tell me, is it true that of words such as acknowledgedly, admittedly, allowedly, avowedly, confessedly, professedly, recognizedly, it is only 'admittedly' that can be called concessive, i.e. can be used in these structures: (Admittedly,...., but....) or (....., but/though admittedly...). By the way, as far as I know, it is only English that has so many synonyms for 'admittedly'.

6. Seeker16 New Member

Russia, Russian
    Thank you very much, Forero. Could you please tell me, is it true that of words such as acknowledgedly, admittedly, allowedly, avowedly, confessedly, professedly, recognizedly, it is only 'admittedly' that can be called concessive, i.e. can be used in these structures: (Admittedly,...., but....) or (....., but/though admittedly...). By the way, as far as I know, it is only English that has so many synonyms for 'admittedly'.