1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

an, ans / année, années

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Tobycek, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Tobycek Senior Member

England, English
    Moderator note: The an vs. année question is very common, and it has been discussed many times on our forums. We have merged many of those discussions together here. Consequently, this thread is very long, but it is also very complete, and you will find many examples of usage for both words. After you have read the thread, if you still are not sure whether to use an or année in your translation, please DO NOT open another thread with the same title. Instead, use the English expression that you want to translate (e.g., we dated for four years or the year of the monkey or how many years?, etc.).

Although we encourage you to read the entire thread, here is a short summary that you may find helpful. We make no guarantees that it is complete.

It is usually safe to say année(s) except in the following contexts. For these, use an(s) instead:
    • when immediately preceded by a cardinal number, if the duration is not qualified by some adjective or phrase: elle a vingt ans, il a fallu attendre deux ans, pendant six ans
      (but: une vingtaine d'années, les années cinquante, la sixième année, les cinq ans/années de son règne, les vingt ans/années qu'il a passé en prison, trois années/ans de disette, etc.);
    • when followed by a year number in the adverbial expression en l'an XXXX (in year XXXX): en l'an 1789, en l'an mille neuf cent deux
      (but: l'an/année 2000 fut la dernière année du XXe siècle, les événements de l'an/année 1789);
    • when stating periodicity in the expression tous les (X) ans (every (X) years): tous les ans, tous les cinq ans
      (but: chaque année, deux fois par an/année, toutes les années qu'il a passées en prison).
    Please note the following set expressions:
    • le jour de l'an, le premier de l'an, (le) nouvel an (New Year's Day)
      (but: bonne année ! (Happy New Year!), la nouvelle année commence bien)
    • bon an, mal an (on average, in the balance - see here for a discussion of the meaning and translation)

See also the thread l'an dernier/prochain / l'année dernière/prochaine, and the thread an / année on the Français Seulement forum.

Thanks!

Bonne année/Happy New Year, everyone.

This expression reminds me of one question about French that I have never been able to find an answer to: the difference between "an" and "année".

People say "bonne année" but "le jour de l'an", "pendant dix ans" but "pendant les années soixante", "c'est mon troisième an" but "cette année je fais...".
    Is there any real rule here?

And does anyone with a knowledge of the history of French know why there are two words for year? I know it's the same with jour/journée, soir/soirée, matin/matinée, but I can't see any obvious reason for it. Just interested, that's all!

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  2. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    Should be c'est ma troisième année.
    Année, journée, soirée, those words emphasize the notion of duration wheras an, jour, soir merely describe moments in time.
    But it is not a really "real rule", as you put it, because according to what I just said it should be "pendant dix années"...
    I sincerely hope someone else will come up with more complete explanations.

3. OlivierG

OlivierG Senior Member

Toulouse, France
    France / Français
    I agree with egueule for "journée", "soirée", etc, but for "année", the rule doesn't apply. The definition in French dictionary is the same for these two words.

Basically, we use "année", except:

- when a number is written just before (age or duration):
    j'ai trente-sept ans
    j'ai attendu cinq ans
    pendant dix ans

- for a date, when followed by a number
    en l'an huit cent
    l'an mil

- for a periodicity (par an)
    trois fois par an
    j'organise deux réunions par an

- in a few expressions
    le jour de l'an
    bon an, mal an

- in its plural form (les ans) in litterature, to express a long duration
    ... pour réparer des ans l'irréparable outrage (Racine)
    This form isn't used anymore in modern French.

Maybe I forgot a few uses of "an". Please tell me.

4. OlivierG

OlivierG Senior Member

Toulouse, France
    France / Français
    More generally, many French words are made by adding the suffix "-ée" to an existing word (sometimes with small adjustments). These words express the content of the object.
    For example:
    - une cuillère (a spoon) => une cuillerée (the content of a spoon)
    - un poing (a fist) => une poignée (the content of a hand)
    - un bras (an arm) => une brassée (what you can carry with your both arms)

and by extension,

- une table (a table) => une tablée (all people sitting around the table)
    - une chambre (a room) => une chambrée (all people sleeping in the same room)

I think matin/matinée, jour/journée, soir/soirée, nuit/nuitée and maybe an/année at it origin, come from the same process, i.e. meaning the content of the time interval. But I'm not a linguist...

5. Elisabeth Senior Member

England and English
    I've searched the forum, but couldn't find the answer to my question.
    Would you say après dix ans de discussions or après dix années de discussions?
    I've gone for the second, because it's to do with duration, but i'm not 100% sure it's right...
    Thanks

6. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France
    France, French
    En fait, ici, on peut tout-à-fait dire les deux. "années" sera peut-être un peu plus "écrit" ici, mais c'est vraiment pour chipoter...

7. Jabote Senior Member

Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
    French from France
    I agree with agnes. If you want to insist on the duration, you can change your sentence to "au bout de" instead of "après"

8. beri Senior Member

Paris
    France
    je dirais qu'années transmet plus l'idée de "pénible", like "longues années"

9. RODGER

RODGER Senior Member

France
    UK ENGLISH
    C'est vraiment intéressant ce sujet. Par exemple est-ce qu'on ne dirait pas "3O ans de carrière" et "30 années de recherche méticuleuse..." etc, mais j'attends les autres

Rodger

10. Jabote Senior Member

Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
    French from France
    D'accord avec Rodger. "Années" rend beaucoup plus l'idée de durée que juste "ans"...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  11. tchev

tchev Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    France, French
    Je ne suis pas sûr que année soit plus "pénible", mais je suis entièrement d'accord pour dire que année est plus chargé émotionnellement que an.

12. semiller Senior Member

Dallas, Texas
    USA-English
    Not to complicate things, but the general rule is that if there is a cardinal number, the word "an" is used. If it is just one year or just part of a single year then use "année." Exemples: 3 ans, 4 ans, 5 ans, etc.
    1 an (année).

I posed this question several months ago. If anyone has further questions/comments, feel free to see the excellent explanation provided by Olivier (I believe).

13. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Il y a au moins une certitude, c'est que seul "année" admet un adjectif.
    Il est impensable de qualifier "an".
    Après six longues années de recherches :tick:
    Après six longs ans de recherches :eek:
    J'ai passé mes plus beaux ans dans cette villle :eek::eek:
    Je vous souhaite le bon an
    :eek::eek::eek:

14. Markus

Markus Senior Member

Paris, France
    Canada - English
    I know this question comes up a lot, but I am filling out a form for a visa and I need to know the correct grammar for the following sentence:

Pour une durée de (1 ans / 1 année)

Merci pour votre aide.

Mark

15. ilhemd1 Senior Member

Moi je dirai:
    Pour une durée d'1 année.

Bon voyage!

16. je ne voie pas de problème dans l'utilisation de l'un ou de l'autre.
    mais je pense qu'on entend plus facilement Pour une durée d'un an.

17. meegan Junior Member

New Zealand, English
    Very good question, and one that I'd love to see explained one of these days. Is it just a question of style?? In my experience, in your particular case, the best option is "une année", but then, I'm not a native speaker of French. Best to hear directly from the horse's mouth... Good luck!

18. Aupick

Aupick Senior Member

Strasbourg, France
    UK, English
    Little reminder of the difference between an/année, jour/journée, soir/soirée, matin/matinée:

• The masculine forms are used as markers of the passage of time, as a way of counting time, as containers. They're somewhat mathematical.
    • The feminine forms are used to describe the events that fill up that time, to describe the contents of time. They're more emotional.

Hence, to summarise Oliver G from above
    You use an after numbers, with dates, to express frequency and in certain set expressions.

And to summarise LV4-26
    You use année with adjectives

To help you remember, think of the difference (that OliverG so wisely described) between une cuillère and une cuillerée. (I know, I know, they're both feminine - it's really the 'ée' ending that's important.)

:)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  19. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France
    France, French
    I think we may use both in that case, bongbang. At least, I do. :eek:
    J'obtiendrai mon diplôme l'an prochain => pas en 2005 mais en 2006.
    J'obtiendrai mon diplôme l'année prochaine => à la fin de l'année scolaire à venir

20. bongbang Senior Member

Thai
    Many thanks, Agnès.

I should make sure, though, that I really understand the difference between the two. Say, you will graduate at the end of this school year, which happens to be in 2006, then that will be the first case ("J'obtiendrai mon diplôme l'an prochain"), correct?

Please say yes.

21. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France
    France, French
    C'est cela ! Mais seulement si l'on parle AVANT que l'année scolaire ait commencé (juste après les examens que l'on a ratés, par exemple...). Dès que les cours ont commencé, ça ne marche plus ! :)

22. mingze13 Senior Member

US/English
    Encore une fois avec 'an' vs 'annee'...

Il y a "25 ans" que j'ai parle le francais, ou "25 annees"? "25 years since I have spoken French..."

Je pense que c'est "ans" parce que les regles d'Olivier ci-dessous (merci!), mais il va mal...

Mais aussi,

Il y a plusieurs ... annees? que j'ai parle le francais...? ou 'plusieurs ans'? Same problem: rule says should be 'annees' but sounds a little odd

merci
    Anne

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  23. ampurdan

ampurdan Modstachioed modnster

jiā tàiluó ní yà
    Català & español (Spain)
    <<"An" is used mainly to count time or to demarcate a period of time and also in some established expressions. No epithet is attached to it usually.

Avoir vingt ans
    l'an 1970
    gagner tant par an
    une fois l'an

"Année", which usually comes with a qualifying adjective, views the annual time with relation to its divisions or to the events that have marked it.

Une année bissextile
    L'année a été mauvaise>>

That's what my dictionary says (sorry, I've translated it from Spanish).

24. nicko Senior Member

Paris
    France, French, English, Spanish
    But Ampurdan, we can also say "l'année 1970", it is even more frequent than "l'an 1970". To talk about a year, we use "l'an " generally to talk about a remote period "l'an 2" "l'an 1123", "l'an 1492" or a year linked to a kind of "mythology": "l'an 1000", but also "l'an 2000" (remember all the science fiction stories and the fear of the end of the world linked to this year)

25. ampurdan

ampurdan Modstachioed modnster

jiā tàiluó ní yà
    Català & español (Spain)
    Ok, I just copied what my dictionary says. Pourtant, il n'interdit pas de dire "l'année 1970"... Thanks for your remarks, nicko.

26. Damz Junior Member

Canada (Québec), french
    With "plusieurs" you always have to use "années"

-> Ça fait plusieurs années que je n'ai pas parlé français

27. JMNPC Junior Member

Nantes
    English, NYC, NY
    This has been a great forum for me. I think I understand "an" and "année" a bit better now.

For the statement above, I too would naturally say - "ça fait plusieurs années que je n'ai pas parlé le français." Or - "je n'ai pas parlé le français depuis des années". But I suppose, if giving an exact amount of years, you would say - "je l'ai pas parlé depuis 5 ans" for example.

The reason I started looking through this forum is I was thinking about getting a "Grand Voyageur" SNCF card, and wondered if I should say - "je vais à (n'importe où) 3 fois par an" or "je vais à (n'importe où) 3 fois par année". After reading all these messages, I'm feeling like the first one. Am I right?

28. blinnith Senior Member

Toulouse (from Reims)
    French, France
    Pas d'accord avec OlivierG sur son premier post.
    Les règles qu'ils donnent, meme informels, ne sont pas justes.
    Le mieux qu'on puisse faire c'est aller lire attentivment l'altif (http://atilf.atilf.fr/) sur ces 2 mots.
    Les 2 peuvent souvent etre employé pour une meme chose.
    Les distinctions viennent du fait que "année" désigne plutot une durée (relativement floue), alors que "an" marque plutot une date (précise). Mais ce sont des indications, et uniquement des indications, car elles ont plein d'exceptions.
    Donc JMNPC a raison sur "depuis des années" ou "depuis 5 ans".
    Mais on peut aussi dire indépendamment "depuis l'an 1985" ou "depuis l'année 1985" (le premier sonne plus littéraire en francais courant).
    On peut souhaiter "bon an" ou "mal an" (d'ou l'expression "bon an, mal an"), meme si de nos jours on emploie plutot exclusivement "bonne année".

"J'y vais 3 fois l'an" ou "j'y vais 3 fois dans l'année" indifféremment. Le 2eme ayant pour moi une notion légérement moins précise que le premier.
    "j'y vais 3 fois par an" est mieux que "j'y vais 3 fois par année", mais le 2eme se dit aussi sans problème.

"ca fait des années" est parfait car la durée est assez floue.
    "ca fait 15 ans" est parfait car la durée est précise.

Hope it helps.

29. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France
    France, French
    Bonjour,
    Bienvenue sur le forum !

This is perfectly right, JMNPC! :thumbsup:

30. Damz Junior Member

Canada (Québec), french
    Like blinnith said, when you want to talk about an undefined number of years, you'll always use "années" rather than "ans"

Plusieurs années
    De nombreuses années
    Quelques années
    Un certain nombre d'années
    Il y a une dizaine d'années
    etc.

Other than that you can use both indifferently, most of the times, but I would tend to favour "ans".

31. digs New Member

English
    Would someone be able to give me an easy way to remember when to use "un an" or "une anée".

Merci en avance!

clay

32. Pikrass Junior Member

France - Français
    It's "une année", with two "n" ;)

I will answer with examples : I don't think there's a rule for that.
    You can say "L'année dernière" or "L'an dernier".
    You must say "Il y a deux ans", no "Il y a deux années" (This last sentence is strange...).
    You can say "Deux ans ont passé" or "Deux années ont passé".
    You can say "Il y a 365 jours en une année" or "Il y a 365 jours en un an".

33. Spiderkat Senior Member

USA
    French, France
    You can say "Il y a deux ans, il est parti en voyage", or "Il y a deux années d'interval entre ces deux dates"
    You can say "Il y a 365 jours dans une année" or "Il y a 365 jours par an".

34. Pikrass Junior Member

France - Français
    Hum... D'accord pour la correction des dernières phrases. Je me disais aussi que ça sonnait mal...

Par contre, "Il y a deux années d'interval entre ces deux dates"... Ca peut certes se dire, mais ce n'est pas courant ;)

35. Le Bélier

Le Bélier Senior Member

USA
    English/USA
    I don't know of a general rule, either. I can point out that when talking about age, you have to use an and not année; for example, la fille a cinq ans but not la fille a cinq années.

If you familiar with the nuances between jour and journée, matin and matinée, soir and soirée, I'm pretty sure that the same nuances exist between an and année. The first in each set are concrete, general terms while the latter in each set refers to a period of time. Perhaps some examples:

Le jour suivant, on s'en ira.
    The next day (in general), we will go away.

J'ai passé la journée à l'école.
    I spent the day (the hours during the day) at school.

Does that help at all?

36. Spiderkat Senior Member

USA
    French, France
    Peut-être pas courant pour toi mais peut tout à fait l'être pour d'autres. Si c'est l'exemple qui te gêne je peux vite le remplacer par autre chose, il y a x années durant lesquels nul ne savait où il se trouvait. :)

37. jetman

jetman Senior Member

Vermont
    English - USA
    Je te verrai demain matin.
    J'ai passé la matinée en faisant la lessive.

I always understood that the feminine form emphasizes the entire duration of the time period.

38. broglet

broglet Senior Member

England - English
    I think this is correct. 'Un an' focuses on the year as a landmark in time while 'une année' focuses on the year as a quantity of time.

39. !AH Junior Member

FRANCE
    FRANCE
    :)EASY:)
    Je suggère à Digs d'utiliser dorénavant
    1°) « an » pour définir un point du temps, un instant (date plus ou moins précise) : " il travaille depuis l’âge de 20 ans ", " l’an deux mille (du calendrier grégorien) n'est pas si loin", "il a 30 ans", etc.
    2°) « année » pour exprimer une durée : « 20 années heureuses », "l'année deux mille a été difficile", "trente années glorieuses ".

C’est pourquoi, il est rare d’adjoindre un épithète à « an ». Une année peut être :tick:heureuse, riche, abondante, fertile … (ne pas dire qu'un an est :cross:heureux, riche, abondant, fertile, …).

:warn:La synonymie actuelle résulte d’une confusion (commune) entre un instant dans un calendrier repéré en années par rapport à un événement de référence (début d’un calendrier, naissance d’un individu, etc.) et une durée exprimée en années (i.e. mesurée en utilisant la période de temps égale à la révolution de la Terre autour du Soleil).

PS. : Ces deux mots dérivent du mot latin "annus" dont le sens premier veut dire cercle! Ceci explique peut être cela!

40. Nono Poisson New Member

CHINA, CHINESE
    Dear all,

when we describe age, "an" is common, fe., vingt ans. but can we say vingt annees?

as for times, annee is common, fe., "Je travaille ici depuis dix annees." can we use "dix ans" in this case?

How can we relate their differences with words in english. FE, "an" means "year old", "annee" simply means "year".

Thanks!

41. Findiel

Findiel Senior Member

Bordeaux
    France, French
    Hello
    Not really

This words are most of time interchangeable, except in particular cases.

"L'année a été difficile" :tick:
    "L'an a été difficile" :cross:

"Je commence ce travail l'année prochaine" :tick:
    "Je commence ce travail l'an prochain" :tick:

"Ca s'est passé l'année dernière" :tick:
    "Ca s'est passé l'an dernier" :tick:

"Il y a quelques années, alors que je travaillais encore" :tick:
    "Il y a quelques ans, alors que je travaillais encore" :cross:

42. Findiel

Findiel Senior Member

Bordeaux
    France, French
    "Dans quelques années, quand on sera marié" :tick:
    "Dans quelques ans, quand on sera marié" :cross:

"Il a vingt ans" :tick:
    "Il a vingt années" :warn: unusual

"En l'an de grâce 1190" :tick:
    "En l'année de grâce 1190" :cross:

"Ce fut une annus horribilis, une année horrible" :tick:
    "Ce fut une annus horribilis, un an horrible" :cross:

43. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    Someone once explained to me that you use 'année' when the sense has to do with duration. e.g. 'Dans quelques années, quand on sera marié' refers to a length of time, whereas 'Il a vingt ans' refers to a specific number of years.
    'Ca s'est passé l'année dernière' and 'Ca s'est passé l'an dernier' are both right because it can mean either 'last year' as a specific time, or 'during last year'
    I hope this helps.

44. OlivierG

OlivierG Senior Member

Toulouse, France
    France / Français
    Welcome to the forum, Nono Poisson :)

This topic has already been addressed several times on this forum, as it is a common problem.
    I invite you to read this thread: every year since 1980

Good luck! :)

Olivier

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  45. broglet

broglet Senior Member

England - English
    Hi nono - and welcome to the forum - yes, as Olivier says, the other threads are very relevant.

You make an interesting suggestion that 'years old' could be used to translate 'ans' (as in 'Il a 20 ans'). But it doesn't always work. 'L'an 2007' is 'the year 2007' (not 'the year old 2007').

The translation problem arises because in English we only have one word for year, even though it has two distinct meanings: a duration (French 'année', as Suehil pointed out) and a 'landmark in time' (French 'an'). So when translating from French to English, it's easy: it is always 'year', but when translating from English to French you first need to work out which of the two meanings it is.

46. chrispnoodles New Member

89660 france
    burgundy/english
    In usage terms, which should be used when? Or is just a matter of taste?

47. hunternet

hunternet Senior Member

Paris
    France - French
    it depends on one critical point : the CONTEXT.

48. kanoe Senior Member

Paris
    France, French
    Just a few examples :

Since : depuis/ça fait trois ANS
    duration : pendant deux longues ANNéES

Une ANNéE très chaude
    Le jour de l'AN, le réveillon du nouvel AN
    Joyeuse nouvelle ANNéE

49. Arrius

Arrius Senior Member

Spain
    English, UK
    Tout d'abord, cher compatriote chrispnoodles, je te souhaite la bienvenue.

On dit vingt ans, mais une vingtaine d'années - curieux, n'est-ce pas?
    But a practical rule of thumb is that when year is considered as a point in time one uses an (l'an 2007 i.e. the date, il a vingt ans i.e. the point in time his life has reached, he doesn't actually have twenty years - they've gone), but when a year is considered as a period of time, then année is indicated (il a été malade pendant toute l'année; il a passé l'année à l'université). The analogy is with le jour and la journée.
    PS This was posted before seeing Agnès E's record-breaking list of links, though not surprisingly long since this problem of usage is so basic.

50. hunternet

hunternet Senior Member

Paris
    France - French
    Well, except the fact that we always say : l'année 2007, l'année 2008 etc (BUT l'an 2000), it seems right, Arrius.