An Jens Keller wird aber (noch) nicht gerüttelt

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Soraze, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Soraze Member

is it a colloquial expression?

"An Jens Keller wird aber (noch) nicht gerüttelt"

Does it mean : he is in a bad situation but not fired ?

2. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    Hi, can you give some context?

It may be used literally or in a metaphorical sense.

I suppose it means: Nobody did anything to stop building it/to avoid that it could be build.

But it can also have other meanings.
    It is not a common idiom as whole sentence but "an etwas rütteln" is an idiom.

The contrary is:
    Daran lässt sich nicht rütteln=Das steht fest/ist nicht änderbar. (Metaphorical, idiom)

An seinem Keller wird noch nicht gerüttelt.
    An der Existenz/an der Planung seines Kellers wird nichts geändert.
  3. gvergara

gvergara Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Oh, at first I thought Jens was the person's name and Keller his/ her surname :p Yes, more context, please.
  4. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    Vice versum. It may be a name.
    It is always good to have context.

It can mean "he is in a bad situation but not fired" as you proposed. It can mean "they do not plan yet to change his position, or it can mean the basement (cellar). The last would be: "An Jens' Keller wird aber (noch) nicht gerüttelt."
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  5. Ralf Senior Member

I'm pretty sure your first idea was right on the mark. The sentence was most probably taken from an article about the head coach of the football club of Schalke 04. Thus it means that his position as head coach is unchallenged for the time being.

6. Soraze Member

yes it is indeed about football and the coach Jens Keller, his team continue loosing all its matches.

Could you tell me the exact translation: (is it "anwerden"?) Does - "An" someone "wird" - mean : "It is ok for him, for this time" ? (as a general rule)
    "An Jens Keller wird"

About "
    gerüttelt", in which context does this word work? We can build a basement, and say someone is "fired" with the same word? :p
    "aber (noch) nicht gerüttelt"

Thanks again
  7. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    In this case it means that he might loose his position, to fire him is not the question, depending on his contract. But they stated that it is not the case yet that he looses his place. They will not replace him yet in the games.
    It is always a good idea to provide context.
    But in our case it is good, because it leads us to the question where the idiom came from.

"Rütteln" is a kind of shaking.
    If you have a wall and shake it it may brake down.
    This explains the picture.
    It does not say whether it actually brakes down but it might be.

Derived from this he might loose his job on the field and may be placed as reserve.

Or the basement might be in question ...

both works wit "rütteln" as metaphor.