1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

anar + gerund

Discussion in 'Català (Catalan)' started by garyscottadamson, Aug 8, 2013.

1. garyscottadamson New Member

English
    What is the meaning of the verb construction of anar + gerund? Eg. jo vaig imaginant or jo vaig pensant?

I also noticed the construction of anar + past participle. E.g. vaig fet, or vaig sent.

What do the above constructions mean?

2. ernest_

ernest_ Senior Member

Barcelona
    Catalan, Spain
    The meaning is the same as estar + gerund, there is only a subtle difference. With anar + gerund, you emphasise that you're in the middle of a process of doing something, i.e. not finished yet.

Estic pensant = I'm thinking
    Vaig pensant = Currently I'm thinking, and I intend to continue to do so for a while

The construction of anar + participle, I think only works with participles that can work as adjectives.

Vaig begut = Estic begut = I'm drunk

Vaig fet doesn't mean anything, but there is an expression with anar + fet + una cosa, for instance

Vaig fet un desastre = My physical appearance is very bad

I hope this helps.

3. innovator Senior Member

Català (Girona)
    As ernest_ said, anar + gerund means that you in the process of doing someting. However, I would add that we usually use this expression when we are doing another action at the same time (normally a long one)

Example 1: Mentre agafo flors, vaig cantant : While I'm picking up flowers, I 'm singing (literal translation)
    Example 2: Què fas ara? -Doncs de moment, no tinc feina, però vaig jugant a futbol (What do you do for a living? Well, at the moment I'm not working but I continue/keep? playing football

Although we can write it, I tend to use this expression orally

As to anar + participle, it works as an adjective.
    Example 1: Vaig cansat : (I'm tired)
    Example 2: Vestit de diumenge, vaig fet un figurí (dressed in smart clothes, I'm handsome/cool)

In most cases, when we use this expression we mean that we are very dirty :
    Vaig fet un cromo
    Vaig fet un fàstic
    Vaig fet un desastre
    Vaig fet un senglar
    Vaig fet un porc

We also use it in some very Catalan and typical expressions:
    Example 1: Com vas? -Vaig fent/Vaig tirant (How are you doing? Not that bad)