[Ancient Greek] my heart

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by Jessila, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Jessila

Jessila Senior Member

France
    France, french
    Hello,

in expressions such as "with all my heart", "I give you my heart", "from the bottom of my heart", etc.
    at first I thought that "my heart" would be translated to "την ἑμην καρδιάν" (not sure about the place of the accents but I think the declension and the order of the words is correct?)

But then on http://artflsrv02.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/efts/dicos/woodhouse_test.pl?keyword=^Heart,%20subs. when I read the entry for "heart" I saw that as "seat of the feelings" (in Prose or Verse), it was "ἡ ψῦχή".
    I was surprised because "ἡ ψῦχή" means "soul" if I'm not mistaken?

And so in with the type of expressions I listed above, which would it have been: την ἑμην καρδιάν or την ἑμην ψῦχήν ?
    Or something else completely?

2. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
  3. sotos Senior Member

Greek
    Both correct. Expressions like "with my heart", "from the bottom of my heart" are given in formal old greek with the word "Ολοψύχως" or in new Gr "ολόψυχα" (with all of my soul).

4. Jessila

Jessila Senior Member

France
    France, french
    Thanks to both of you :)

I imagine the ending in "Ολοψύχως" is due to its being an adverb?
    It does work fine in two of the expressions I gave, but what about something like "I give you all of my heart."
    Then would it be: Σας δίνω την ἑμην ολην ψῦχήν ?

5. sotos Senior Member

Greek
    It shouldn't be translated word-to-word. Possibly "Από ψυχής" or "εκ βάθους ψυχής". But this is not ancient, just old-fashioned katharevousa. If you want to find really ancient expressions you should look for epistles in the Papyri of Oxyrrynchus.

6. Jessila

Jessila Senior Member

France
    France, french
    I'm afraid I'm not learned enough to follow your suggestion... ;) I've studied ancient Greek about 20 years ago in Junior High and very superficially.
    I'm trying to delve into it by myself again because I have a friend with a keen interest for mythology but I'm nowhere near as good as to read ancient texts (not yet anyway ^^).

I'm barely trying to get a hold on declensions so far, which I hoped I had done correctly. So even if I hear what you said about not translating word to word, were at least my declensions right?
    την ἑμην ψῦχήν or την ἑμην ολην ψῦχήν ?

And thanks a lot for all your answers, I greatly appreciate! :D

7. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    Greek
    It is:
    τήν
    ἐμήν
    ὃλην
    ψυχήν (not ψῦχήν)