And as we wind on down the road our shadows taller than our

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by zafiro, Aug 28, 2008.

1. zafiro Senior Member

Español - Chile
    Hi everyone!

I'm trying to understand the meaning of the following (It's from the song "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin):

"...And as we wind on down the road
    Our shadows taller than our soul
    There walks a lady we all know
    Who shines white light and wants to show..."

I have two questions about the lyrics:

1. What's the purpose for "on"? According to the meaning I found for "wind down" means "bajar", "reducir paulatinamente", "relajarse". Then my attempt for a translation was: "Y mientras bajamos por el camino" (which is by the way what I've found on Internet in the translations for this song. They just omit it).

But just because of the previous paragraph (the part about the wind), I think that maybe it's the continuation of the same idea, trying to say that person should hold or be careful to avoid falling down (by the effect of the wind). So my idea for a translation is: "Y mientras bajamos por el camino con cuidado/afirmándonos". But the truth is I have no idea of its purpose. And anyway, of course, I have the feeling it's nothing like this, is it?

2. My second doubt is in: "Our shadows taller than our soul". My question is if it's omitted "are" (Our shadows are taller than our soul), so that the translation for this is: "Nuestras almas son más altas que nuestras almas"

Thanks a lot!
    :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  2. Rapek Senior Member

1. They don't omit the prepotion 'on': "...Y mientras bajamos por el camino..."

2. I think that it is not necessary the verb, because what I understand is: "...Nuestras sombras, más altas que nuestra alma...", unless the song says: "Our shadow's taller than our soul" (Nuestra sombra es más alta que nuestra alma).

3. Chez Senior Member

London
    English English
    'on' in 'wind on' just gives the impression of continuity (we continue winding). 'Wind' doesn't refer to the noun wind (viento) but to the verb to walk a twisting path (pronounced /waInd/).

'Our shadows taller than our soul' is as Rapek says in his point 2: "...Nuestras sombras, más altas que nuestra alma...". It is poetic language, not normal speech, which is why it doesn't sound normal grammatically.

4. rogster01

rogster01 Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    English UK
    Song > Paul McArtney 'the long and winding road'
    'the winding road' es el camino a lo largo/a través de la vida.

look up wind as a verb

the shadows bit would be more clearly written as

'our shadows are taller than our souls'

but then this wouldnt sing so well and is not rock n rooooll, and as Chez notes, its simply artistic license