And I made you a bed in the desert

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by MPA, Feb 13, 2011.

1. MPA Senior Member

"Well a man's gotta do what he's gotta do
    Though its consequences can be cruel
    With the one-way ticket to the graveyard
    And I'm driving the hearse
    And I made you a bed in the desert"

Tenho dúvida na tradução do último verso.

2. GamblingCamel

GamblingCamel Senior Member

USA English CULTA + RUA
    Probably, made you a bed = dug a grave for you
    I made you a grave.

3. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Literalmente: fiz uma cama no deserto pra você, e de acordo com que o Camel explicou, cavei uma sepultura no deserto para você.

4. GamblingCamel

USA English CULTA + RUA
    MPA > Possibly, there's an additional undercurrent of meaning, drawing from the expression:
    "You've made your bed. Now lie in it."
    You have created an undesirable situation, and now you have to live with the results.

And possibly not. But please roll with me with on this.

Keep in mind that the singer is addressing his words to his mother.
    Well mama I'm writing a letter home / 'Cause I know that you think what I done was wrong

The singer has murdered. He has sent a man to his grave.
    But figuratively (and literally, if he's on death row), he has also killed himself.
    its consequences can be cruel/ With a one way ticket to the graveyard / And I'm driving the hearse
    Additionally, he's also destroyed his mother's life (And I made YOU a bed in the desert )

He's made his bed -- and now he has to lie in it. And now his mother has to lie in that same bed too.

The murder of the Mexican may have occurred in the desert -- in the US Southwest.
    Desert, symbolically = isolation, solitude .. eternity.
    The song ends, again saying: "And I made you a bed... In The Desert"

The singer says he has no regrets. But in the subtext, I see cruel irony. A man has to do what he has to do ... yet look at how his life has ended up (in in this metal pit).
    Without the subtext, wouldn't the tale be rather mean-spirited? Essentially, it's about a drunk killing "that loose lip, non-English speaking immigrant."

5. GamblingCamel

USA English CULTA + RUA
    For beginning EN speakers, I should say that TO MAKE A BED = FAZER UNA CAMA.

6. Alentugano

Alentugano Senior Member

Português - Portugal
    I know it's hard not to mix spanish and portuguese. But you're on the right track. :)