1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Andare a prendere

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by marinella, May 2, 2005.

1. marinella Senior Member

italian
    se voglio dire:"devo andare a prendere il mio bambino"
    posso dire I have to go and get my baby o come posso dire?
    grazie in anticipo
    ciao

2. Alfry

Alfry Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    si,
    I have to (must, should) go get my baby

3. DDT

DDT Senior Member

Paris, France
    Italy - Italian
    I'd suggest "I have to go and take my child"

DDT

4. ivanbcn Senior Member

Italiano - Roma
    Is it also ok "I have to fetch my baby"?

5. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    I have to pick him up?

6. ikester Senior Member

Naples, Italy
    US - American English
    Either "I have to go get my baby" or "I have to go pick up my baby". Both are common constructions.

"Fetch" has the same meaning, but is not commonly used in AmE except in some rural dialects.

"Take" would be the literal translation, but it doesn't quite work in this context. It's a matter of nuance and common usage. The dictionary definition fits, but to say it would mark you as a non-native.

ciao,

7. mimitabby

mimitabby Senior Member

seattle
    usa, english
    If you say I have to go fetch my baby everyone will give you a big smile :D :D

8. Panpan

Panpan Senior Member

Sawbridgeworth, UK
    England, English
    In British English 'fetch' is OK, so is 'pick up', or 'collect'. However, in BE we say 'go and fetch', go and pick up' instead of the AE 'go fetch', 'go pick up' etc.

Hope that helps

Panpan

9. simbolls New Member

I have to fetch my baby, penso sia la forma più corretta

to fetch comprende andare, prendere e tornare con la persona o l'oggetto in questione.
    Correggetemi se sbaglio, sono nuovo qui e vorrei imparare qualcosa.
    Ciao a tutti :D

10. shamblesuk

shamblesuk Senior Member

London
    England, English
    Mm, non credo che si usi 'fetch' con una persona ma va bene usarla con un oggetto.

'Pick up' mi garba.

Lee

11. simbolls New Member

Grazie mille, io pensavo il contrario. Pensavo fosse più appropriato per una persona che per un oggetto. Il mio libro di grammatica portava l'esempio con una persona, anyway mi fido più di un inglese che di un libro :D

12. redhairedgirl

redhairedgirl Senior Member

Rome
    italiano
    (Ecco la domanda nel posto giusto)
    Buongiorno a tutti!
    Sto traducendo una relazione su una bambina che esprime il desiderio che i genitori adottino una sorellina o un fratellino.
    La frase originale è "La bambina ha espresso il desiderio di andare a prendere una sorellina e un fratellino, le abbiamo spiegato che [bla bla] poi partiremo per andarlo a prendere"

"Andarlo a prendere", lo tradurrei con "go (and) get him/her" "go (and) pick him/her up" , forse "go (and) fetch him" ecc, ma credo che dia l'impressione di "andare a prendere il fratellino/sorellina a scuola/in stazione/ dalla nonna", piuttosto che "andarlo a prendere per adottarlo e portarlo a casa"

Esiste questa sfumatura o la vedo solo io?

Grazie!
    RHG

13. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Hi RHG! - You're right - the only one that fits is "go and get him/her." Does the sister think they are going to go get a baby at the store like you would buy groceries? Or does she understand that they are going to an adoption agency?

"pick him/her up" would only be correct if the adoption has already been arranged and on the day of adoption you say, "We're going to pick up your new baby sister" or something like that.

Fetch is not a word I use at all. I agree with the others who said it is used in rural dialects. We also use it with dogs - "Go fetch!" :)

14. redhairedgirl

redhairedgirl Senior Member

Rome
    italiano
    Hi, joanvillafane!
    "andiamo a prendere" it's quite good in Italian, even though it's very colloquial - and not that appropriate, in this case (as you said, it seems you can get a baby from a store), but it also implies the fact the family will take a plane and travel to Ethiopia to "get" the child.
    The brother or sister to-be hasn't been placed with the couple yet so... So, I think "They go and get him/her" should fit :)
    Thank you very much :)

15. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Very true, I agree that go and get him/her is the best solution here.:)

However, fetch is very common in British English, Jo. The "others" who mentioned rural dialects are Americans, not Brits.;) I notice however that shamblesuk says you can only use fetch when speaking about objects and not people: that is not so:). I'd quite happily fetch a child from school or fetch someone at the airport. Oh, and fetch! is a command British dogs all understand perfectly!:D

16. marinella Senior Member

italian
    grazie mille a tutti !!