angina--strangling or constrictive pain

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by HallePuppy, Oct 6, 2013.

1. HallePuppy Senior Member

Hi! In a medical text I have the following glossary item:

"Angina: a strangling or constrictive pain; usually an abbreviation for angina pectoris (chest pain) caused by inadequate oxygen and blood flow to the heart muscle"

The word "constrictive" seems very good, but I can't find an adjective in Spanish for "strangling". The only synonyms for "constrictive" that I find here on WordReference are "obligatorio, coactivo, forzoso, imperativo, coercitivo", none of which have to do with the physically strangling sensation mentioned in the text. The word "estrangulativo" does appear many times when I do an Internet search, and is apparently in use. Google used "estranguloso", but the Word spell checker rejects it. Can I say "un dolor estrangulativo o constrictivo"?

This translation is to be published over the Spanish-speaking world, and is designed to be read by laymen. We therefore need a translation understandable by the general public.

Thanks in advance.
  2. onthebass Senior Member

United States
    Is there a difference between a strangling and constrictive pain? Can't you just translate one?
  3. Ilialluna

Ilialluna Senior Member

Hola. La verdad que yo tampoco veo mucha diferencia entre ambos términos. Te propongo "dolor opresor o constringente".
  4. cristalito Senior Member

Sensación de estrangulamiento u opresión.

Dolor opresivo y constrictivo.

dolor.(Del lat. dolor, -ōris).1. m. Sensación molesta y aflictiva de una parte del cuerpo por causa interior o exterior.2. m. Sentimiento de pena y congoja.
    La angina de pecho es un síntoma complejo de dolor torácico asociado a isquemia miocárdica. Se describe como una sensación de "estrangulamiento" u "opresión en el tórax"
    constrictivo, va.
    (Del lat. constrictīvus).1. adj. Que constriñe.
    opresivo, va.
    (Der. de opreso, part. irreg. de oprimir, y este del lat. oppressus).
    1. adj. Que oprime.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  5. HallePuppy Senior Member

It's one of those literary constructions where two synonyms are use to create a stronger effect. If I translate only one, I lose the emotional effect, and compromise the author's style, which as his translator, I should retain wherever possible.
  6. HallePuppy Senior Member

That might work. As I mentioned in my answer to onthebass, it isn't just a matter of translating meaning, but of preserving the author's style. Also, it is very important to keep the rhythm of the author's writing.
  7. HallePuppy Senior Member

8. cristalito Senior Member

You are very welcome, Hallepuppy!!!