Ani na wody, ani na lasy, ale po wszystkie

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by Lovelybeauty, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Lovelybeauty

Lovelybeauty Senior Member

Vietnam
    Vietnamese
    Hi everybody,

Could anyone please help me translate the sentences below from Chopin's song "The Wish" Op.74 no.1:

"Ani na wody, ani na lasy, ale po wszystkie"

The full lyric is:

"Gdybym ja była słoneczkiem na niebie,
    Nie świeciłabym jak tylko dla ciebie.
    Ani na wody, ani na lasy, ale po wszystkie
    Czasy pod twym okienkiem i tylko dla ciebie
    Gdybym w słoneczko mogła zmienić siebie.

[...]

So this line "Ani na wody, ani na lasy, ale po wszystkie" means "neither on the water, nor the woods, but on everything" or "not on anything"? Sorry for asking a series of questions, I can't seem to find any reliable source on this yet.

Grazie mille!

Moderator's note: thread split from this one: [h=1]Nie świeciłabym jak tylko dla ciebie[/h]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013
  2. sufler Senior Member

Tarnów
    Polish - Poland
    Nope, that line finds its continuation in another line with the word "czasy"- "Ani na wody, ani na lasy, ale po wszystkie czasy".. but actually the line seems weird for me and I never could undertstand it well because it compares space (wody, lasy) with time, since "po wszystkie czasy" means just "for ever" (for all the times to come). So the translation goes like "neither on the water, nor the woods, but for ever".

3. Lovelybeauty

Vietnam
    Vietnamese
    So maybe we have to read 2 lines together:

"Ani na wody, ani na lasy, ale po wszystkie czasy pod twym okienkiem i tylko dla ciebie"

meaning: "Neither on the water, nor the woods, but forever under your windows and only for you"?

This way it would be space, space and space (water, woods, under your windows)?

Many thanks for great explanation, I feel like getting a bit closer to Chopin now!

4. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    I think you might be right; though, the part 'ale po wszystkie czasy' was probably created to match rythmically the preceding text. I'm adding more a literal translation and comments:
    "Ani na wody, ani na lasy, ale po wszystkie czasy pod twym okienkiem i tylko dla ciebie"
    "Neither on/at the waters, nor on/at the woods, but forever/throughout all times [at the place] under your windows and only for you"

:idea: It may be worth it to mention that Chopin didn't write the text, he only composed the music. The author of Życzenie (A maiden's wish [sic]) was Stefan Wytwicki (I personally like it being perfomed by the Polish folk group Mazowsze).

5. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    There is nothing weird in the line, you should read it together with the text that follows "by your window, and only for you", "po wszystkie czasy" should be put into parenthesis, being an inserted expression.

6. BezierCurve Senior Member

Lovelybeauty, I'm not sure if this is obvious for you or not, but the parts with "ani na..." ("not on...") are logically linked back to her "shining": "nie świeciłabym jak tylko na..." ("I wouldn't shine other than on...").

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  7. Lovelybeauty

Vietnam
    Vietnamese
    Thank you all very much for your clear explanations!