1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ani sie obejrze i ....

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by cpuzey1, Jan 23, 2013.

1. cpuzey1 Senior Member

Warszawa
    English (UK)
    Jak w tytule, co to znaczy "ani sie obejrze i....".?

dziekuje z góry

2. BezierCurve Senior Member

It's a figure of speech, something like "before you know it" (or, "before I know it" in this case).

3. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    It means that the time is passing very fast. You hardly notice something -- like that it is Sunday, for example, and it is already gone.

4. cpuzey1 Senior Member

Warszawa
    English (UK)
    Thanks guys! "Before you know it...." is a perfect equivalent in this case. Dziekuje!

5. NotNow Senior Member

English
    Could someone please use this phrase in a sentence?

Thanks.

6. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Ani się obejrzycie i będzie czerwiec, czas waszych egzaminów. Uczcie się już teraz!

This is something I hear on a daily basis, coming from my teachers.

Before you know it, it's June, the time of your exams. Start studying now!

7. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I personally think it should be: ani (ledwie) się nie obejrzysz -- general you, i rok przeszedł. (not first person -- second singular or plural, perhaps).

8. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    I've never heard of it, but a quick Google search tells me it does exist and is quite common. It doesn't really roll off the tongue, if you ask me.

9. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    What does not exist?

10. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    I beg your pardon? I said I've never heard of 'Ani się nie obejrzysz' (to me, my friends and family it's always been 'Ani się obejrzysz') and thought that it's non-existent, but there's quite a number of Google hints, so it does actually exist.

I suggest that you read my previous post more carefully, Lil. :)

11. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Ani się nie obejrzysz definitely exists, this is why I got puzzled. No question about it. Many people use it this way -- I would not really make up a Polish phrase like that. I was referring to the verb form. usually heard it in the second person, not in the first or third.

12. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Of course it does exist. Judging by Google results, it's even more common than 'Ani się obejrzysz'. That said, I can't say I've ever heard it. Or maybe I did, it's just that I can't remember.

I see no reason why it shouldn't be used in the third person.... it's perfectly fine, good and natural Polish. If you think it's not, well, then maybe it's due to the fact that you're no longer exposed to Polish. :) Trust me, no-one would bat an eyelid on hearing that.

13. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Can you think about two sentences in which the term is first used in the first person and then in the third one.

14. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    A piece of cake.

Ani się obejrzysz i będę święta. (a person talking to an individual)
    Ani się obejrzycie i będę święta. (a person talking to a group of people)

15. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    These are second person examples -- both.

16. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    I don't think I understand you. Would you care to elaborate?

Ani się obejrzysz - Ty - the second person singular
    Ani się obejrzycie - Wy - the second person plural

Even so, I can come up with more striking examples.

Ani się obejrzysz, i będą święta. - the second person singular (present)
    Ani się obejrzałem, i były święta. - the first person singular (past)

I don't see what your point is, Lil. That it cannot be used in every person and tense? It very well can be used in every person and tense. :(

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  17. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin 國語
    Can I say "Ani się ty obejrzysz"? If not, how do Polish speakers say it in the future tense?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  18. The_Moonlight

The_Moonlight Junior Member

Polish
    It's not natural, Skatingbc. Polish verbs are conjugated so there's no need to add the subject. The future form would be "Ani się obejrzysz."

19. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin 國語
    Thank you, Moonlight. I guess it is like English, where the future is expressed in the main clause (e.g., Before you know it, I will be on my holidays).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  20. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    As The_Moonlight has rightly noted, 'ty' is superflous. I've actually alraedy offered an example of how do we say in the future sense, but I mistakenly wrote 'present'. :)

21. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Hi, Dreamlike. The original phrase was in the first person singular (verb form) -- Ani się obejrzę. I was just wondering if that would be often used because I know the phrase in the second person singular (mostly) as far as the verb form goes -- general you. Is it Ok to say "ani się obejrzy" (on, ona, ono) in the third person? If so, can you think of any examples.

22. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Hi, Liliana. Yes, that would be perfectly fine. As I said, it can be used in every person and tense. As for the examples, these are taken from the Polish media:

Powieść liczy 350 stron, czytelnik jednak ani się obejrzy, a już dobiegnie końca. (gazeta wyborcza)
    Bo ani się obejrzy, a przechodzący obok Arkadiusz Milik (Górnik Zabrze, rocznik 1994) założy mu siatkę. (sport.tvp.pl)

My sentence:
    Człowiek ani się obejrzy, a ma 40 lat i rodzinę na utrzymaniu.

23. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Ok. Thank you.

24. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    I confirm that 'ani się nie obejrzysz' (with the emphatic 'nie') is used and is correct. I think that you don't hear it so often these days though. Its version with no 'nie' is definitely much more common to my experience. It is also used in various persons and tenses, as said by Dreamlike.

Other versions of the expression in quesion can be:
    zanim się obejrzysz
    nim się obejrzysz
    nawet się nie obejrzysz [Here 'nie' is obligatory.]
    dobrze się nie obejrzysz [Here 'nie' is obligatory.]
    nie obejrzysz się, kiedy... [Here 'nie' is obligatory. This one is somewhat less common.]