animatore (per ragazzi)

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Emma Neve, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Emma Neve

Emma Neve Senior Member

Buongiorno a tutti,

We use the term "animatore" in Italian to indicate:

1. a person who is in charge of/deals with the animation in a tourist village;
    2. a young person who organizes a number of recreational activities for kids (eg: during a School Camp etc.). It does not necessarily have to do with Scouts.
    S/he is generally responsible for the kids' security and safety and spend the whole time with the kids, organizes shifts, sets rules etc.

How would you translate those terms in English?

Thanks a lot, as usual.

Ciao, Emma:)
  2. Siberia

Siberia Senior Member

UK-Wales - English
  3. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    Ciao Emma,

This is one of those interesting words that might be translated many ways.

Program staff (for a specific job)

But I've seen other translations such as:
    Driving force

Based on your description I might go with counselor or coordinator, depending on the exact job duties.
  4. GavinW Senior Member

British English
    I don't think it can be adapted, unfortunately. The definition is different. But do some people still say "animator" for what Emma has in mind?

I've been looking for ages for a good translation of this term. At a school camp it might be "group leader" or something along the lines of "activity leader" (but that's not a suggestion, as such). But as for animatori at a children's party, I'm still floundering a bit with the English...

EDIT: did anyone check out the WR dictionary? It has simply "entertainer", which is quite good, but maybe not all-encompassing...
  5. SweetBird Member

USA english
    While counselor makes sense for example #2, I would use coordinator for the first example given.
  6. Emma Neve

Emma Neve Senior Member

Many thanks for your precious, invaluable help!

:) :) :)
  7. Siberia

Siberia Senior Member

UK-Wales - English
  8. Serabianca

Serabianca Senior Member

Australia, English
    What about "animatore didattico"? Would it be "educational facilitator" or perhaps "educational trainer"? I really can't think of a name for this kind of role.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  9. miri

miri Senior Member

Here you can find different types of recreation workers.