Another way to say "to have sex" or "lost your virginity"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by onhcetum, Sep 30, 2010.

1. onhcetum New Member

Vietnamese
    I'm writing a paper for a college level class. What's a nicer way to say "to have sex" or "to lose one's virginity"? It can be witty or funny. It doesn't really matter. I want to express the above statement without actually saying that. Would "fornicate" be appropriate? Is there any cliches that I could use?

Thank you in advance...

2. Uriel- Senior Member

New Mexico, US
    American English
    Fornicate is pretty dry and formal, and tends to have a negative connotation.

3. onhcetum New Member

Vietnamese
    Okay well thank you for the heads up. I don't want it to be dry. I want it to be kind of funny.

4. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Really, we need more information about the kind of thing you are writing and the point of view you have. We also need a complete sentence to see how the word fits in.

5. onhcetum New Member

Vietnamese
    I'm basically making a list of things I've done in college and how I've almost been desensitized by everything. Basically, I want to say that nothing phases me anymore. I want to know if there's more to life...

I've smoked; I've gotten drunk; and I've had sex.

Not the exact sentence, but something like that.

6. Uriel- Senior Member

New Mexico, US
    American English
    Parked the pink Porsche down a side alley?

7. Uriel- Senior Member

New Mexico, US
    American English
    Unless you were the parkee, I guess.

8. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    In this case, "I've fornicated" might be funny because the tone would be out of place in such a list. At least, I would think it was funny.

Although the dictionary definition doesn't say so, fornicate is a very disapproving word usually used to describe other people's bad behavior, or to confess to one's own sins. It is not a word people are likely to use casually about themselves in a list.

9. onhcetum New Member

Vietnamese
    Anything funny or witty? Something that an older professor would understand? What did they say back in the 50s or 60s?

10. Majorbloodnock Senior Member

South East England
    British English
    There's a fairly obvious difference between having sex and losing your virginity, since one can only be done once. We have a huge range of slang terms for having sex, but the best known for losing one's virginity is "to pop/lose one's cherry".

Given you wouldn't be the only person at University who's had those experiences, you might perhaps be able to say "I've lost my cherry and been pretty careless with everyone else's too".

11. EStjarn

EStjarn Senior Member

Spanish
    I'd suggest make out: I've smoked; I've gotten drunk; and I've made out.

12. Nickikil New Member

Bordeaux
    Californian English
    not sure of your gender, but popping the cherry applies only to girls, and I'd never say that to a professor.
    You can say, "had my fair share of romance."
    or more 50s-ish: "bumped uglies," or "I've done the dirty."

really, if you start a sentence with drinking and smoking, you only have to mention "meeting a boy/girl" for most people to assume you had sex.

13. Spira Senior Member

South of France
    UK English
    To make out is just the American slang for kissing, usually French kissing. Sex is a little further down the line.

14. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I "went all the way".

15. mathman Senior Member

near boston
    English-American/New England
    You could say "I've gotten drunk, I've smoked, I've done the Wild Thing."

(If this is a phrase you are unfamiliar with, google "wild thing" and "Tone Loc" and you will find the lyrics to his song of the same name.)

I think that would work well because everyone knows it involves sex, but no one really knows what kind of sex is being referred to. (The Urban Dictionary disagrees with me about this, but I have heard this phrase used to refer to a whole bunch of stuff other than sexual intercourse). It's a phrase that is vague enough that it is hard to find it offensive. At least I would not find it offensive (and I am an "older professor"). But maybe that's just me.

And if anyone does say they find it offensive, you can furrow your brow and say: "I meant the yoga pose: what did you think I meant?"

16. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I've done sex, drugs and rock & roll?

17. EStjarn

EStjarn Senior Member

Spanish
    From the American Heritage Dictionary (2009):

18. Majorbloodnock Senior Member

South East England
    British English
    That's the thing with slang, though. It defies "official" definitions because it simply means what most people think it means. If it were otherwise, it wouldn't be slang. Moreover, what "most people" think it means depends on where "most people" are. As already mentioned in this thread, "losing one's cherry" apparently has a slightly different inference in the US than in the UK.

User beware....

I do like Loob's "sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll" suggestion, though.

19. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
  20. EStjarn

EStjarn Senior Member

Spanish
    I'm prepared to compromise. From your thread:

(I don't feel it disqualifies my suggestion.)

21. x Balaam x

x Balaam x New Member

Ukraine
    Ukrainian—Ukraine
    I wouldn't use the word ‘fornication’ for this: there are some people who take this word too emotionally—even more emotionally than the word ‘sex’—so, if you want to keep it within scientific or academic boundaries, you can just stick to the formal expression ‘to engage in sexual intercourse’.

22. Spira Senior Member

South of France
    UK English
    "Making out" appears to have become less "total" over the decades. For today's young Americans most would not use the term "making out" to describe full and complete sexual intercourse.
    And whatever the era "making out" has never explicily meant to lose one's virginity.

23. Nickikil New Member

Bordeaux
    Californian English
    I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but "hooked up" would be perfect for this context. It's similar to "making out" except for a lot of people it implies that more than kissing/groping went down. It's tame enough to use in front of a class, but leaves some to the imagination.

As with all slang, though, the meanings are up to your audience. Where I'm from (Southern California) "hooked up" would work pretty well.

24. MISTERMOPPS

MISTERMOPPS New Member

FRANCE
    FRENCH
    I've smoked; I've gotten drunk; and I've no idea where is (are ?) my underpants

25. Uriel- Senior Member

New Mexico, US
    American English
    That would be: I've smoked, I've gotten drunk, and I have no idea where my underpants are.

To me, "making out" covers kissing and groping, but not sex as far as I know -- I don't care what that dictionary claims!