ANOVA and Wilcoxon and Chi-square analyses

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by Unbelievable13, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Unbelievable13

Unbelievable13 Member

Hello, I am doing a scientific translation from english to spanish and I have serious problems with one sentence. Here is the full paragraph with the part I need to translate marked in bold:

19 elite classical
    ballet dancers (age 26±8.86yr; mass 54.3±10.47kg) were monitored over a 6 month period for 25-hydroxyvitamin D, PTH and blood serum bone turnover markers (CTX and PINP) along with injury data. Repeated measure ANOVA and Wilcoxon and Chi-square analyses were used and significance was set at p≤0.05.

My try of the sentence is this, but I am pretty sure it is not correct:

"Se compararon repetidamente ANOVA y Wilcoxon y se usaron análisis chi-cuadrado y se estableció una significancia en p ≤ 0,05."

I think that my translation has no sense, but I am not able to understand it well to translate it properly, can anyone help me, please???
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2013
  2. LVRBC Senior Member

English-US, standard and medical
    Repeated Measure ANOVA is the name of a statistical test and is translated as: "análisis de la varianza para observaciones repetidas" according to a resource available on this site.
    "Wilcoxon" is described thus on Wiki: The Wilcoxon signed-rank test is a non-parametric statistical hypothesis test used when comparing two related samples, matched samples, or repeated measurements on a single sample to assess whether their population mean ranks differ (i.e. it is a paired difference test). It can be used as an alternative to the paired Student's t-test, t-test for matched pairs, or the t-test for dependent samples when the population cannot be assumed to be normally distributed.[1]
    I'm not sure this helps; I'm not a statistician. I would translate thus:
    Las pruebas de analisis de la varianza para observaciones repetidas, Wilcoxon, y chi (¿ji?) cuadrado se aplicaron y la significación se estableció en p<_ 0,05.
  3. sALLENDE Senior Member

Spanish, Spain
    ANOVA de medidas repetidas también es correcto. ANOVA se utiliza en español
    "Se aplicó ANOVA de medidas repetidas, prueba de wilcoxon y chi-cuadrado y se estableció significación en...
    chi cuadrado también lo puedes encontrar como χ², pero no es una X normal si te fijas
  4. sALLENDE Senior Member

Spanish, Spain
    también podría ser "se analizó utilizando ANOVA..", "se analizó mediante ANOVA..", o "para el análisis se utilizó ANOVA..."