1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Eire2007 Senior Member

Ireland
    Spanish - Spain
    Hola a todas/os,

Alguien puede por favor ayudarme con la palabra 'antagónico/a' en inglés?;
    lo he mirado en el diccionario pero viene traducida como 'contrary' sin embargo no me parece que esta traducción inglesa describa lo que es una situación antagónica o de antagonismo, porque en el caso de una situacion de antagonismo también se da una relación como de confrontación de ideas ej.:

The concept Beta describes the (antagonica) relationship between the increase of exploitation of natural resources and the decline in the manufacturing sector.

Gracias,

M.

2. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    "conflicting". "contradicting"

3. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    antagonistic, antagonism

4. Eire2007 Senior Member

Ireland
    Spanish - Spain
    Hi there,
    So, can this word 'antagonistic' be used in the same way that 'antagonico/a' in Spanish. For instance and in the previous example:

The concept Beta describes the (antagonistic) relationship between the increase of exploitation of natural resources and the decline in the manufacturing sector.

Thanks,

E.

5. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    Antagonism implies that there is a direct conflict/competition between people or ideas. I'm not sure I understand your sample sentence - I don't understand the relationship between the increase in the use of natural resources and the decline in the manufacturing sector. If the increase in the use of resources is causing the decline in the manufacturing sector (I don't know how), then you could say there is an antagonistic relationship between the two.

6. Eire2007 Senior Member

Ireland
    Spanish - Spain
    Hi FromPa,

Yes, you understood all right. I am trying to expound/debate a theory that states what you just said.

(Pity my constraint is the language barrier!).

Thanks,

P.S.: If you are still curious about this, check out 'The Dutch Disease'.