1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Antecedentes Judiciales

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by nraddcosmicwaverider, Jul 27, 2008.

1. nraddcosmicwaverider

nraddcosmicwaverider Senior Member

Hola a todos,
    This is a legal document from the Dominican Republic referring to the fact that an individual has no open judicial cases against him. I want to know if "Antecedentes Judiciales" can be translates as "Judicial Record," "Criminal Background" or "Criminal History". I think "Judicial Record" best captures the essence of the statement.
    I typically here it in Spanish as "Antecedentes Criminales" and am wondering if there is a difference in meaning here??
    thanks

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  2. carpve Senior Member

Sheffield
    Spanish-Spain
    I am not completely sure, I might be wrong,
    but I think "antecendtes judiciales" is slightly different that "antecedentes criminales" since in the last one the fact/s is/are confirmed, the individual has criminal background. However in the first one, it might be the individual have a case in court but still pending of resolution or acquited for not having conclusive evidence against that person.

3. nraddcosmicwaverider

Thanks a ton, I have been thinking about it and 'Judicial Record' seems best b/c as you said ... there is no record of pending cases nor of convictions on this individual. Thanks, it's great to bounce ideas off of other like minded individuals,
    por cierto: what does one have to do to become a senior member?
    thanks again

4. StratotakU

StratotakU Senior Member

Chamiza, Puerto Montt
    Chile, Spanish and self-taught English
    To become a senior member you must have more than 100 or 150 posts approximately.

By the way, how can I translate the word in bold in this sentence?

"Junto con esta solicitud deberán acompañarse los siguientes antecedentes:"

Thanks in advance.

5. nraddcosmicwaverider

Thanks for senior member response, that makes sense.
    I would need to see more context as to what the 'siguientes antecedentes' are ... what would follow the colon.
    it seems these would not be 'antecedentes criminales' ... but may possibly be certain personal records ... please post what follows in original text

6. StratotakU

StratotakU Senior Member

Chamiza, Puerto Montt
    Chile, Spanish and self-taught English
    Sure, the text goes like this:

[FONT=&quot]"Junto con esta solicitud deberán acompañarse los siguientes antecedentes:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]a)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Título o patente de la variedad, si éstos hubieren sido otorgados en el extranjero;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]b)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Descripción de las características botánicas, morfológicas y fisiológicas de la variedad, que permitan diferenciarla de cualquier otra notoriamente conocida;..."[/FONT]