1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

any chance you could give me the time?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by MaximuS.111, Jan 28, 2011.

1. MaximuS.111

MaximuS.111 Senior Member

ukraine
    russian
    Hello fellows! :)
    Please, tell me, what did the guy mean by asking the question in bold?
    - I think I'll keep it (said the guy about the watch which was a present to the outher guy)
    - Any chance you could give the time? (asked another). I don't want to be late for the opening or Metroman museum.

Funny, recalling the topic I recently posted about leaving out 'Did' in questions using Past Indefinite I may presume it is 'Is' that missing in the sentence in question, am I right? Should have it been there 'Is there any chance you could give the time?'

Thanks in advance! :)

2. sandpiperlily

sandpiperlily Senior Member

It's a polite way of asking "what time is it?"

3. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    The context is very complex, and the text quoted is a translation from Japanese.

The first speaker is a prison guard or equivalent.
    The second is a prisoner.

Preface to the script in one version I found:
    Megamind asks for some time off from his prison sentence to go visit the museum,

"Any chance you could give me the time?
    - in the context, probably means something like -
    "Would you be prepared to let me have time off from my prison sentence in order to visit the museum."

There's another version with different words HERE.
    Megamind: Any chance you could give me the time. I don't want to be late for the opening of the Metro Man museum.

I think it's clear, as Maximus suggested, that the question omits "Is there" - "Is there any chance you could give me the time?"

[Maximus: It is really important that you tell us something about the source of the text you quote. It is a basic requirement of the forum and often, as in this case, is crucial to understanding the text you ask about.]

4. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

I've seen the movie. I'd say, in the context, that it's a form of bragging. MegaMind is politely asking what time it is, implying that he will escape before the museum opens. (He does, as I recall.)

I don't think he's asking for time off.

5. MaximuS.111

MaximuS.111 Senior Member

ukraine
    russian
    sandpiperlily, panjandrum, JamesM
    Thanks for the help! :)

I got you, panjandrum. I'll try to accompany my future questions with a source.

6. Pedro y La Torre

Pedro y La Torre Senior Member

Paris, France
    English (Ireland)
    Funnily enough, (out of context) it sounds like an informal/colloquial way of asking for the time to my Irish ears.