any chance you could give me the time?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by MaximuS.111, Jan 28, 2011.

1. MaximuS.111

MaximuS.111 Senior Member

ukraine
    russian
    Hello fellows! :)
    Please, tell me, what did the guy mean by asking the question in bold?
    - I think I'll keep it (said the guy about the watch which was a present to the outher guy)
    - Any chance you could give the time? (asked another). I don't want to be late for the opening or Metroman museum.

Funny, recalling the topic I recently posted about leaving out 'Did' in questions using Past Indefinite I may presume it is 'Is' that missing in the sentence in question, am I right? Should have it been there 'Is there any chance you could give the time?'

Thanks in advance! :)

2. sandpiperlily

sandpiperlily Senior Member

It's a polite way of asking "what time is it?"

3. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    The context is very complex, and the text quoted is a translation from Japanese.

The first speaker is a prison guard or equivalent.
    The second is a prisoner.

Preface to the script in one version I found:
    Megamind asks for some time off from his prison sentence to go visit the museum,

"Any chance you could give me the time?
    - in the context, probably means something like -
    "Would you be prepared to let me have time off from my prison sentence in order to visit the museum."

There's another version with different words HERE.
    Megamind: Any chance you could give me the time. I don't want to be late for the opening of the Metro Man museum.

I think it's clear, as Maximus suggested, that the question omits "Is there" - "Is there any chance you could give me the time?"

[Maximus: It is really important that you tell us something about the source of the text you quote. It is a basic requirement of the forum and often, as in this case, is crucial to understanding the text you ask about.]

4. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

I've seen the movie. I'd say, in the context, that it's a form of bragging. MegaMind is politely asking what time it is, implying that he will escape before the museum opens. (He does, as I recall.)

I don't think he's asking for time off.

5. MaximuS.111

MaximuS.111 Senior Member

ukraine
    russian
    sandpiperlily, panjandrum, JamesM
    Thanks for the help! :)

I got you, panjandrum. I'll try to accompany my future questions with a source.

6. Pedro y La Torre

Pedro y La Torre Senior Member

Paris, France
    English (Ireland)
    Funnily enough, (out of context) it sounds like an informal/colloquial way of asking for the time to my Irish ears.