1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

any old time

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by michy13, Feb 14, 2013.

1. michy13 Junior Member

Italian
    In un dialogo che si svolge su una nave militare tra ufficiali e marinai trovo questa frase:

"We've got a hot ship - hot ship.Yes, sir. Lay her up against the Pelayo any old time. Well, I guess. We wouldn't do a thing to that there Pelayo!"

Che ho tradotto così:
    "Abbiamo un'eccellente nave - eccellente. Si signore. Risparmiamola contro la Pelayo______. Beh, penso che. Non le faremo niente a quella Pelayo!"

Ma non riesco a trovare un modo per riportare "any old time"
    Chi mi può aiutare???

2. Mary49

Mary49 Senior Member

Padova
    Italian
    10 Ciao, ecco qui http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/old
    any old thing/place/time etc
    spoken - used to say that it does not matter which thing, place etc you choose:
    Oh, just wear any old thing.
    Phone any old time - I'm always here.

3. curiosone

curiosone Senior Member

Romagna, Italy
    AE - hillbilly ;)
    Hi Michy :)

I think we need more of the conversation here, to get an exact interpretation. And what maritime period is this? (it looks almost like 1800s English, maybe from an O'Brien or Hornblower/C.S.Forrester novel). But as it is, you have to read everything together, in context (to understand it at all). However I'll separate it here below, to analyze the parts where I disagree with the translation (which isn't easy).

Without more context, this sentence can be interpreted different ways (but not "risparmiamola") - and may I assume the Pelayo is another ship? And the language strikes me as very colloquial (and not overly highbrow - so I also assume that it's a sailor speaking, and not an officer). "That there" is not even good English (nowadays). It sounds "hillbilly" to me (though it might have been more acceptable in the 1700-1800s) but is still used in less educated circles -or to denote/imitate a person who has had less schooling.

It could mean "Mettila contro la Pelayo quando vuoi" o "La confronti con la Pelayo quando vuole." (Non sono sicura se è meglio usare il "Lei" o il "Voi" qui - dipende dal periodo.) "Non perde nulla in confronto alla Pelayo". I wouldn't worry about translating "any old time" specifically, but if you wish to understand the meaning I'd say "in qualsiasi momento".

"Beh, penso che" doesn't even sound like good Italian to me. And is it the same person speaking (as it looks like, from the way you copied it here?)? At any rate, I'd probably translate it "Beh, suppongo di sì." ("Nativi" may correct me on this).
    The last part is extremely colloquial. And it seems like a contradiction (if read in "standard" English), but from the context I figure it's meaning is (more or less) "non perderemo in confronto"

So my translation would be (and I hope other natives and "nativi" will express an opinion here):
    "Abbiamo un'eccellente nave - eccellente. Si, signore. La confronti con la Pelayo quando vuole (o "Confrontatela con la Pelayo quando volete" - che forse preferisco in un linguaggio dell'800). Non perderemo nulla in confronto alla Pelayo!"

4. Mary49

Mary49 Senior Member

Padova
    Italian
    Hi curio,
    so you think that "lay up" in this context doesn't mean "to put it in a docks, as for repairs", don't you? http://www.thefreedictionary.com/lay+up 3. Nautical To put (a ship) in dock, as for repairs.
    Couldn't it be "Teniamola da conto per metterla contro..." "Mettiamola da parte per farla scontrare con..."?
    By the way, the Pelayo was a Spanish battleship from 1888 to 1925, see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_battleship_Pelayo
    As for "Beh, suppongo di sì" it's ok.

5. curiosone

curiosone Senior Member

Romagna, Italy
    AE - hillbilly ;)
    This is precisely why we need more context (and thanks for specifying that the Pelayo was a Spanish battleship - which Michy should have specified, as part of the context. This also confirms my hypothesis that the language was from the 1800s, or not modern-day English). The problem is that the last sentence makes no sense to me, if we're talking about putting the ship (I presume British Navy?) in dry dock (for repairs). Or, if this were the case (and I'm not fluent in 1800s British naval English :D) then the sailor might be advising NOT to have the ship face the Pelayo (as not able to beat her in battle). In this case the first sentence would NOT translate to "excellent ship", and my translation might be more like:
    "Abbiamo una nave in difficoltà - messa male. Si, signore. Si affonderebbe in battaglia (o "perderebbe") con la Pelayo in qualsiasi confronto. Beh, suppongo sia così. Non faremmo alcun danno a quella Pelayo!"

6. Mary49

Mary49 Senior Member

Padova
    Italian
    You're absolutely right, curio. If "hot" is translated as "eccellente" so the second sentence wouldn't make any sense. Is there a possible meaning of "hot" for "ridotta male" or something like that? Anyway, the sentence "We wouldn't do a thing to that there Pelayo" in my opinion means "Non le facciamo nulla...", we can't damage it. I agree we need much more context...

7. CPA Senior Member

Rome
    British English/Italian biling
    Abbiamo una gran bella nave... gran bella nave. Sissignore. La metterei contro/ingaggerei la Pelayo quando volete. Ecco, forse. Non riusciremmo neanche a scalfire quella Pelayo!

8. Mary49

Mary49 Senior Member

Padova
    Italian
    A me sembra che da metà in poi ci sia un controsenso rispetto alla prima metà; c'è qualcosa che non quadra! A meno che quel "I guess" non sia usato in uno di questi sensi: "disdain for something or someone, expressing uncertainty or confusion, expressing the irony and absurdity of a situation, expressing sarcasm" http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=i%20guess

9. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    The word "hot" to mean something positive and/or sexy is a very modern usage of the word (hot car! hot date!) which didn't make any sense here. So I did a little digging and found the a "hot ship" is somethng very specific in naval terms. It refers to handing over a ship, presumably it's been sold, in an active state.
    Transfers are accomplished by one of two methods known as the "Hot Ship" method or the "Cold Ship" method. Under the "Hot Ship" method, the foreign recipient takes custody of a recently active ship coincident with decommissioning. "Hot Ship" transfers are preferred and mutually beneficial because the U.S. Navy avoids the inactivation costs and the foreign recipient avoids reactivation costs. "Hot ship" transfers also provide the foreign crew a unique opportunity for on-the-job training by the USN crew prior to the transfer date. Through "Hot ship" transfer, the vessel remains active and is commissioned into the foreign navy upon being decommissioned from the U.S. Navy.

So some more context is definitely needed. :)

10. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    We definitely need more context, rrose, quite so. ;)

Michy, I'd like to know::)

a) if this is from a book: if so, who wrote it (North American? British? Australian? etc.) and when was it written?

b) if this is from a film: if so, where and when was it made? Is this the official transcript of the dialogue or have you just written down what you thought you heard?

c) Is this just one long sentence spoken by one person? From what you say in your first post it's a dialogue between captain and crew, which makes me think it isn't. Who says what, exactly?

I'm also not at all convinced that this is BE: we don't say "I guess" to mean "I suppose so"/"maybe", for a start. ;)

PS. By the way, to lay up a vessel can also mean to disarm or to dismantle a ship.;)

11. michy13 Junior Member

Italian
    Forgive me if I didn't wrote more about the context...I'll do it now!!!

I'm translating some war dispatches (about American invasion of Cuba) and Curiosone you were right, it's 1800 American English and the Pelayo is the name of a warship.

The sentence is the opening of a dispatch ant it's part of a brief dialogue between two seamen:
    "We've got a hot ship-hot ship. Yes, sir; lay her up against the Pelayo any old time. Well, I guess. We wouldn't do a thing to that there Pelayo!"
    "Why, what ship are you on? The Iowa?"
    "No, the Vicksburg"