any time soon

Discussion in 'English Only' started by igma, Nov 10, 2009.

1. igma Banned

Would anyone confirm that any time soon has exactly the same meaning as in the short run or in the short term? If not. please tell me differences between them and the context in which it would be suited to use them.

thank you very much
  2. Adam Cruge Banned

India & Bengali
    According to me
    any time soon =
    at any instance of time in near future
  3. Var18 Junior Member

Pennsylvania, USA
    English - America
    The three phrases you have listed are similar, but are used in different situations. I'll just give an example for each.

"Can you get back to me (report on the/your situation) any time soon?"
    --"I don't think that taxes will be lowered any time soon."
    "Although gasoline prices may rise in the short run, they should begin to fall again by the end of the year." (The Free Dictionary by Farlex)
    "My short term goals include getting an A in Biology and getting a job." (EDIT: In this sentence, "short term" is an adjectival phrase)

So, any time soon is often used when describing a situation, and in the short run/short term are used when talking about the future. At least that is what I am able to infer from my uses of the phrases. It also seems that "in the short run/term" is a nominal (noun) phrase, while "any time soon" modifies the verb (making it adverbial). I would still wait around for a second opinion of I were you.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  4. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

USA English
    Welcome to the Forum Var 18. Your analysis of this question is right on.