Anytime Anywhere

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by WolfBrother, Jan 18, 2013.

1. WolfBrother New Member

Austin, TX
    USA - Bubbonics (Bubba Phonics) a Version Of Tex/English ;-)
    Many years ago, in a land far away a group of Texans wound up serving together.

With the help of a Texan who was a paper work type, we wound up in the same platoon.

Unofficially we formed the 403rd. RUF - Redneck Unconventional Forces. When our Platoon Leader and Platoon Sergeant would ask if we were ready we would always reply "anytime anywhere".

Those of us who remain are planning a first time in 40 something years get together/reunion. I am planning on having a Guidon made with our unofficial unit name and what we would say on it.

I was very surprised when I saw a very good example of the contextual meaning of those words in the Arthurian Legend movie, "The Last Legion" (Colin Firth, Ben Kingsley, Aishwarya Rai).
    During the conversation between Mira and Demetrius before the final battle Mira asked a "and would you follow him?" type of question concerning Aurelius. Demetrius replied, "Anytime, anywhere".

Here is my request: What is a proper Latin translation of anytime anywhere in the context I noted above?

Thanks.

2. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Greetings

An almost literal rendering would be:

quandocunque, ubicunque("Whenever, wherever")

But this may seem (unusually) a little clumsier than the epigrammatic English. You could get away with the shorter

quandoque, ubique.

Have a great party.

3. WolfBrother New Member

Austin, TX
    USA - Bubbonics (Bubba Phonics) a Version Of Tex/English ;-)
    Scholiast, Thank you for your time and effort on this. This got together on an off chance. Two of our guys sons wound up in the same unit in Afghanistan and their families were at the welcome home celebration. The Dad's kept thinking "I know that old bald fat guy" , on thing led to another and .........