1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

API issue between french-spanish dictionary

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by kabalmafisa, Oct 11, 2012.

1. kabalmafisa New Member

French
    Hi all,

I wanted to know if wordrefrence API is working between french-spanish dictionary. I tried once but I have the following return:
    { "Error" : "UnsupportedDictionary", "Note" : "Sorry, you have requested an unsupported dictionary. Please try a different search." }

however, the documentation seems saying that this dictionary is working.

Thks, regards

G.

2. mkellogg Administrator Staff Member

Spanish-French is definitely not supported. What in the documentation makes you think it is? I will need to update it to make it clear.

Sorry for the confusion.

3. kabalmafisa New Member

French
    Ok, thks

The documentation says:
    The dictionary that you want to look up your term in is specified by a combination of the two-letter code for the original language and the two-letter code for the target language. For example, if you are looking up the word "house" from English to French, the URL would be '/enfr/house', where en stands for English, and fr for French. The two letter language abbreviations are below: ...

N.B.: The API does not fully support the English - Spanish dictionaries yet. Both the English to Spanish and Spanish to English dictionaries are accessible through the API, but are still undergoing some refinements and improvements. Additionally, neither form of the API provides support for the English, Spanish, and Italian monolingual dictionaries, the Spanish synonyms, or the Russian and German dictionaries. Searches made to these dictionaries from the HTML API will return a link to the appropriate page on the main website.
    N.B.: Greek and Czech are abbreviated gr and cz instead of their normal language codes.

The encoding is UTF-8, so "más" must show as "m%C3%A1s".
    You can only use combinations of language codes for dictionaries that WordReference actually has, so for instance, "plko" is not possible since we have no Polish>Korean dictionary.

When I read that, I understood that:
    - I can use combination of the two-letter code for almost all the dictionary;
    - Only, The API does not fully support the English - Spanish dictionaries yet;
    - We can only use combinations of language codes for dictionaries that WordReference actually has -> I understood all the dictionary available for html version: french-english, spanish-french, portuguese-spanish...

Are you going to implement that one day? Thi service is very helpfull...

Thks

Geordie

4. mkellogg Administrator Staff Member

Thanks, I've updated the text to make it more obvious.
    Yes, but it will be a year or two before we get French-Spanish and Spanish-French.

Mike