apoderado legal

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by MAKUSA, Nov 17, 2007.

1. MAKUSA New Member

Mexico Spanish
    Estoy tratando de enviar una propuesta a EEUU sobre nuestra asosiación, Quiero explicarles quien es el apoderado legal, que aparece en el Acta Constitutiva y quien podría ser la persona responsable tanto frente a los bancos como a los contratos. ¿Alguien sabe si hay un termino específico para EEUU? o ¿puedo traducirlo como "legal representant"
    De antemano muchas gracias

2. Evelyn E. Senior Member

attorney in fact = apoderado
  3. MAKUSA New Member

Mexico Spanish
    Muchas gracias solo tengo duda
    ¿Ese es el termino aunque la persona no sea un abogado?
  4. mal67 Senior Member

US - English
    I would probably use "authorized representative" or "legally authorized representative".
  5. silvia fernanda

silvia fernanda Senior Member

Attorney es abogado.
    Attorney in fact es apoderado (puede ser abogado o no).
    Legally authorized representative tambien me parece bien.

6. MAKUSA New Member

Mexico Spanish
    Gracias por las opciones. ¿cual sería la mas correcta para que entendieran el termino en EEUU? attorney in fact or legally authorized representative.
    Se trata de la persona que segun el acta de constitución puede firmar por la empresa y que tambien es la persona que firma en el banco

gracias de nuevo
  7. Evelyn E. Senior Member

A mi me enseñaron Attorney-in-fact.
    y este es el termino que uso en los docs. legales
    espero poder ayudarte!!
  8. Homi Senior Member

Peru, Spanish
    Hola Makusa:
    Attorney in fact es un abogado. Segun el Black's Law dictionary dice: A private attorney authorized by another to act in his place and stead, either for some particular purpose, as to do a particular act, or for the transaction of business in general, no of a legal character.
    Legal representative: es un representante legal, con o sin poder,y que puede ver temas legales o no. "The term in its broadest sense, means one who stands in place of, and represents the interests of, another.//A person who oversees the legal affairs of anohter, e.g. executor or administrator of a estate and a court appointed guardian of a minor or incompetent person"
    Todo dependera, pero en tu caso seria "attorney in fact" si es abogado. Espero haberte ayudado.
  9. MAKUSA New Member

Mexico Spanish
    Si me han ayudado muchísimo.
    Esto de los foros me ha enseñado mucho y me encanta el detalle con el que explican, esta cheverisimo.
    Muchísimas gracias a todos
  10. George in BA Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish (Argentina) & U.S. English
    If I may just add a note here, I won't argue with Black's Law Diccionary, but a "power of attorney" may be given by a high school dropout to a dermatologist. The word "attorney", while translated as "abogado" does not always necessarily refer to a lawyer. Thus, Power of Attorney, or to give power to someone to represent you.

Thought I'd throw that in to make it more interesting.
  11. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    Sorry, but that is not correct. We use the term attorney-in-fact to distinguish someone who is not acting in the capacity of abogado from someone who is (attorney-at-law). An abogado may of course act as an attorney-in-fact but so can any other person (of legal age and not incompetent).

The term "attorney" as used in the Black'sdictionray is an outdated term, which has been fully superseded in usage by "agent." The early editions of Black's Law Dictionary are TERRIBLE! If you find a copy of Black's online, that means the copyright has expired, and you are well advised not to expect too much help from it. I don't mean to say that the latest edition is good because I haven't used it and therefore can't speak from personal experience (unlike the edition I used in law school, which almost always was disappointing). But since Garner is now the editor of the current, I suspect he would have pruned a lot of the garbage that is present in the earlier editions.
  12. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    I suggest "duly authorized representative."

The term "attorney-in-fact" implies that there is a power of attorney, but if the authorization appears in the corporate charter or partnership agreement, that would not be considered a power of attorney.

The term "duly authorized representative" is commonly used in this context.
  13. George in BA Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish (Argentina) & U.S. English
    Thank you for a very clear explanation!
  14. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Él que sabe, sabe :)
    What law dictionary do you recommend, Richard?
  15. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    Bryan Garner has written Modern Legal Usage, and I can recommend that, although it's not a dictionary per se. One day I will look over the latest edition of Black's Law Dictionary, of which Garner is now the editor, and see if that has been made more useful.