1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

appare al di fuori, non certo in seno alla famiglia

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Namichan, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Namichan

Namichan New Member

PN - Italy
    Italian
    Hi!
    It's always me and my translation of the biography of an Italian poet...be patient, please! :rolleyes: I give you the context: on the one hand, we have the poet who had fun with his friends, so the climate
    surrounding him was serene, peaceful; on the other hand, we have the exact opposite at poet's home, because there the climate was tragic because of the evil temper of his father.
    So the Italian sentence I have to translate is:

Questo clima sereno e spensierato appare al di fuori, non certo in seno alla famiglia.

My translation (sorry for it, bu it is better than nothing) :

Whereas outside there was this serene and carefree climate, inside the family it was not so.

What do you think about it? Is it wrong? I am very puzzled about this sentence:(
    As usual I rely on your help...Any advice and/or corrections are more than welcome! ;)
    Thank you very much in advance :D

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  2. Phil9 Senior Member

London
    UK English
    'The atmosphere at home was the exact opposite of his normally serene and carefree existence outside'

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  3. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    There's nothing terribly wrong with your translation (don't be so hard on yourself! :)) But another suggestion could be
    This atmosphere, apparently serene and carefree outside, was anything but at home/was certainly not at home.

Also it's peaceful not peaciful.

Edit: very slow, but on similar page with Phil.

4. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    I wonder if there is a literary way in English to contrast the "al di fuori" and the "seno".
    The use of "seno" seems almost ironic.

outside/inside
    heart/periphery
    harbor/open sea
    haven/real world
    hearth/outside

5. Phil9 Senior Member

London
    UK English
    Sorry, Rose. When I read your post first of all, I thought there was a word missing until I realised that the words 'but' and 'not' would be emphasised in speaking. It's difficult sometimes to know how a sentence will be spoken, especially to non-native speakers. It's a good translation.

This atmosphere, apparently serene and carefree outside, was anything but [that] at home/was certainly not [that] at home.

6. Namichan

Namichan New Member

PN - Italy
    Italian
    Phil9, Rrose17, TimLA: thanks, thanks, thanks a lot to all of you! You are very kind, and very helpful!;)

Rrose17, as usual you are so very kind with me..I am very glad that my translation was not so bad as I thought...thank you! :D