1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

appeals to its public

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Lebonvieuxtemps, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Lebonvieuxtemps Junior Member

Romanian
    Is it correct to say that :

"The festival appeals to the public to make the 8th edition possible" in the context of a fundraising campaign? Is there a better way of saying it, given that it has another meaning here, too?

Thanks a lot.

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Please tell us what you intend to say -- and tell us if this is your own writing or something you saw.

3. Lebonvieuxtemps Junior Member

Romanian
    It's my own writing, i want to say that the festival asks its public for help (donations)

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    One more question: is this the sole purpose of the festive -- a request for donations? Or it that just one aspect of it.

5. Lebonvieuxtemps Junior Member

Romanian
    Its the sole purpose. The festival needs donations in order to continue and it addresses the public in order to help.

I've seen the above formulation in some texts but not enough to make me certain it works. Thanks!

6. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Perhaps you just need to add "for donations" in your original to remove the concern about "appeals" having two meanings:

The festival appeals to the public for donations to make the 8th edition possible.

Or, since festivals don't "appeal" so much as "festival organizers" (people) appeal:

The festival aims to raise money to make the 8th edition possible.

7. Lebonvieuxtemps Junior Member

Romanian
    Thank you!