Appear in/on

Discussion in 'English Only' started by flomounier, Apr 2, 2012.

1. flomounier Junior Member

Polish
    Hello everyone! I would like to know the difference between 'to appear in ' and 'to appear on'. For example, which version is correct:1.to appear in a TV ad 2.to appear on a TV ad?? thanks in advance!

2. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    The right preposition depends on the following noun. "TV ad" in AE takes "in." With another noun you might use "on." So the verb "appear" has no bearing on what preposition to use.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  3. Elwintee Senior Member

London England
    England English
    Why is the explanatory matter on this page in Portuguese, when it purports to be the English Only forum?

4. Bender_Bending_Rodriguez

Bender_Bending_Rodriguez Senior Member

Ontario
    English - Canadian
    I don't think "TV ad" should be 'on.' I'd use 'in' and it's about four times more common according to Google. For "to appear in/on TV" then it would always be 'on' but an ad is different.

5. kayokid

kayokid Senior Member

Chicago
    English, USA
    Hello. I see it this way:

He appeared in an ad/in a commercial on TV.

6. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    I am surprised at the AE usage unless the advert is a poster.

In BE a TV advert takes in: you/they appear in an advert; in a film; in a photograph; in a play; in a book; etc.

In = within the boundaries of. You are part of an advert; you are encompassed by the advert.

You appear on TV. This follows to appear on stage (the early form of TV :D). You are on stage because, at its simplest, the stage is just a floor, and you are on the floor.

7. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    Sorry, I meant "in." Late April Fools' joke :rolleyes:.