Applicable to and Applicable for

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Minnu, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Minnu Member

What is the difference between Applicable to and Applicable for?
  2. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

Welcome to the board, Minnu! We need some context before we can answer.

Please give us a sample sentence. Both can be correct but not usually in the same sentence.
  3. Minnu Member

Like In the sentence, "It is not applicable _____ now.
    Which one would be appropriate?
  4. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

"It is not applicable now." = It is not currently applicable or it is no longer applicable
    "It is not applicable to now." = It is not applicable to the present time. Perhaps it was applicable to a past time.
    "It is not applicable for now." = At this point in time it's not applicable but it may be in the future.

You picked a particularly difficult sample sentence becuase it has several meanings. Could you give us another sentence, please? Using Google to search the internet for "applicable to" or "applicable for" will give you several possible sentences.
  5. Minnu Member

Thank you.
    But my problem itself is with "To" and "For". I really get confused with the application of these two.
    In this sentence, She did not invite me ____ her marriage. Is it to or for?
    And in another sentence, He has gone ____ tea.
    How to know which one to use?
  6. pickarooney

pickarooney Senior Member

Provence, France
    English (Ireland)
    Again, both might be usable in either sample sentence.
    'She did not invite me to her marriage' suggests you were not invited to any part of the celebration (incidentally, 'wedding' is more commonly used for the ceremony and 'marriage' for the duration of the couple's time together, although it is not strictly wrong to use marriage as you have).
    'She did not invite me for her marriage' could mean that you were not there for the ceremony but she did invite you for the party afterwards.

'He has gone to tea' means he has gone away to drink/eat his tea (and may return)

'He has gone for tea' can mean the exact same thing or it can mean that he has gone to get some tea to bring back.
  7. itsNobi New Member

What about the definition vs pronunciation. I cant remember the source, but I do remember learning that when using the word in reference to practicality, it was pronounced with a stressed 2nd syllable, where is was pronounced with its alternative when referencing relevance. Thoughts?
  8. Gram-mal Seizure New Member

For a heading on a résumé, would it be more suitable to say "Skills and Qualities Applicable for [Job Name(s)]" or "Skills and Qualities Applicable to [Job Name(s)]"?
  9. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

English - England
    "Skills and Qualities Applicable for [an engineer]" i.e. this is why I qualify as an engineer
    "Skills and Qualities Applicable to [engineering]" i.e. these are the skills and qualities that I have that are relevant to engineering.

Which did you mean?
  10. Gram-mal Seizure New Member

An example would be "Skills and Qualities Applicable for/to Library Jobs/Jobs in the Field of Library Science." The latter.
  11. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

English - England
    Then I would choose "to"
  12. Gram-mal Seizure New Member

13. popckorn

popckorn Senior Member

Borderlands - México
    Spanish - Mexican
    What about this example:

1. This procedure is applicable to/for iodine containing components and products.

I really cannot discern if I should use TO or FOR.

I am even considering rewording to:

2. This procedure applies to iodine containing components and products.

In the latter case I have no doubt I must use TO. "Applies to" sounds natural to me, whereas "applicable to/for" is a gray area.

Thank you, folks!
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  14. zhonglin Senior Member

How about this "this license key is applicable to/for version 8 software?"
  15. joopbraak Member

I would think "applicable to" is like it's a property of the software. "Applicable for" is like it's to be used for the software (for instance to activate it).

So I think "to" implies something passive whereas "for" implies some active action.