1. happygringa Senior Member

English Canada
    Is aplicable a direct translation for applicable or are they false cognates?

Student Pages: Student page numbers corresponding with teacher pages are found in the box at the lower right hand side of applicable pages.

is the following ok?

Páginas para los Estudiantes: Se encuentra los números de las páginas del libro de los estudiantes encuadrados en la parte inferior del lado derecho de las páginas aplicables.

Thanks for any help...:)
  2. gabisp Junior Member

si es el mismo significado, pero suena mejor: de las páginas que apliquen o en las páginas dónde aplique-

Creo... espera otros comentarios.
  3. nv1962

nv1962 Senior Member

Reno, Nevada (USA)
    es, nl, en-us
    You can use aplicables here. As an alternative, you could use correspondientes also.
  4. gabisp Junior Member

correspondientes sounds a lot better!!
  5. happygringa Senior Member

English Canada
    I had originally put correspondientes after having taken the advice given to me here at word reference... but after having taken a second look at it---- correspondientes is bugging me because I'm thinking in English, the corresponding pages would change the meaning---- applicable pages means the ones that are found in the student book AND the teachers book --ie.. there are more pages in the teachers book than the students.... so only the ones that are the same would be the applicable pages
    whereas corresponding, to me at least, implies that all pages in the student book correspond to those in the teachers....which is not the case
    Is it just the English that would imply this.... is anyone able to follow this train of thought I'm having?!!
    In other words, are correspondientes y aplicables exactly the same??

Any further thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
  6. nv1962

nv1962 Senior Member

Reno, Nevada (USA)
    es, nl, en-us
    Happygringa, this is more of an afterthought as I'm quite certain that you've resolved the original problem by now, but I'd like to caution against what I suspect may be a tendency to seek parallel solutions based on sheer morphology.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigarro; more often than not however, there are nuances that make you end up staring at false cognates that accomplish the opposite of a translator's Prime Directive: achieving a seamless and "original language-independent" experience. Translations that "reek" of translations, in a sense, diminish or otherwise compromise the value and rich universe of the target language in question.

So, don't let the connotations of one language get in the way of the other, and let your choice be guided by the best possible fit - not by giving preponderance to appearance, but to meaning, in whichever direction you translate. Every language has it's own "mindset", or as I experience it, its own "universe of feelings and meanings". The similarities are oftentimes very treacherous.

Now, having said that, and just to give this post a more productive spin: I believe you could also opt for an available third alternative here: pertinentes.

All three options have generally in common that they refer to "whichever appropriate counterpart", i.e., page references whose position and/or placement correlates with their topic. I don't see a semantically significant divergence among them, given this case. Best of luck in making your choices, and I hope this was useful.
  7. happygringa Senior Member

English Canada

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! YES- that was extremely useful--- thanx for taking the time to share your afterthought - I like pertinentes best - but your linguistic pep talk was, and is, also very useful and again, much appreciated .
    Many thanks:)