1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

appointed as a Director ['a'?]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Kross, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    I happened to see this sentence online. That is ‘Dr. Lee was appointed as a Director of the clinic’. As far as I know about the article, a, a title noun(Director here) doesn’t have the article, a, in front of it. So a in a Director should be removed?

This is the second question. If it is correct that a is placed in front of Director, does it mean that the clinic have plural directors?

2. perpend Senior Member

American English
    Hi Kross! :) What's the source of your sentence?

3. Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    Here is the link for it. (http://www.cnudh.co.kr/sub.php?PID=020101&departmentID=A14)
    It comes from the second paragraph in the page starting with Dr. Seokwoo. FYI, my example above is simplified to convey my question clearly. So it is a bit different from the original sentence in the source page. But the sentence structure is the same. :)

4. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    If he was appointed as a director, there are several directors. If he was appointed as the director, there is only one director, and it's him. That's the ordinary use of 'a' and 'the'. In the special case of roles in organizations, we can also omit the article: he was appointed as director. This is more likely to mean that he is the only one, but it can also be used when he is one of several - not an indefinitely large number.

5. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    ‘Dr. Lee was appointed as a director of the clinic’. = ‘Dr. Lee was appointed as one of the several directors of the clinic’.
    ‘Dr. Lee was appointed as the director of the clinic’. = ‘Dr. Lee was appointed as the sole director of the clinic’.
    ‘Dr. Lee was appointed as director of the clinic’. = Probably the sole director but it could be one of several directors of the clinic’.

(Note 'director' is not capitalised.)

6. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    Members of a board of directors are (often? sometimes?) individually called "directors," so that's why an organization might have more than one director.

7. Kross Senior Member

S.Korea
    Korean
    Hello, PaulQ

My original sentence uses the capitalized director (Dr. Lee was appointed as a Director of the clinic) Is that grammatically wrong?

8. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    The website to which you link is not a product of people who speak English. There are many errors. Please don't assume that anything you read there is correct English.

9. jdb90 Junior Member

Cambridge, England, UK
    English (Scottish)
    In english, it depends to what they are being appointed. Generally one is "Appointed a director of the company" if there are many directors, or "Appointed Director of sales" if they will be the director in charge of that department.