1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Arabic and Urdu: اً بطور لاحقہ

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Alfaaz, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Background: it seems that اً is used as a لاحقہ to convert an اسم (noun) to an متعلقِ فعل (adverb)....

(hope this isn't a repeated topic; if it is, would appreciate links to related threads)
    Word
    Part of Speech
    Word with suffix
    Part of Speech
    تقریب , قریب <-- قرب
    اسم نکرہ
    قریباً / تقریباً
    متعلقِ فعل
    کراہت ?
    اسم کیفیت
    کرہاً
    متعلقِ فعل
    اوّل
    مستعمل بطور صفت ، متعلق فعل ، اسم
    اوّلاً
    متعلقِ فعل
    جبر
    (اسم (کیفیت
    جبراً
    متعلقِ فعل
    فطرت
    اسم نکرہ
    فطرتاً
    متعلقِ فعل
    تحریر
    اسم نکرہ
    تحریراً
    متعلقِ فعل
    قطع
    اسم کیفیت
    قطعاً
    متعلقِ فعل

Question: Is the above supposition correct?
    • If so, then are there specific rules for adding اً to nouns?
      • Can it be used with any Arabic noun to create an adverb...?
        • or is it only used in cases where there isn't another adverbial form of a word...?

2. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    In Arabic it is the ending of the accusative case. These accusatives are used adverbially in Urdu. It all depends on the idiom and style. I don't know whether it can be applied to any Arabic noun.

3. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Let me try answer your question this way.

In Urdu we use what the Arabs grammarians call the causative adverb المفعول له al-maf3uuol lahu. In Arabic itself the adverbial usage of nouns is considerably more than in Urdu, for example we don't say mai ne wahaaN daihran ( dahran دهرا) kaam kiyaa but it is normal to use دهرا in Arabic as shown on the page ( 3amaltu fii wizaarat il xaarijiyyatii dahran عملت في وزارة الخارجية دهرا = I worked for the ministry of foreign affairs for a time ). Similarly, zaid becomes zaidan (قرأت وردي وزيدا I read my [habitual] prayer, and so did Zaid) an example of المفعول معه = the adverb of accompaniment. We never use this in Urdu either nor others on the same page, but they are of course standard usage in Arabic. However in Urdu, the Arabic صليت طوعا Sallaitu Tau3an (= I prayed out of obedience) would use طوعا Tau3an:

mai ne Tau3an ( طوعا ) Salaat / namaaz paRhii = I prayed out of obedience! The link to the Arabic adverbs is here!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  4. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Thanks for the informative answers and link!