Arabic online pronunciation dictionary?

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Anatoli, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Anatoli Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Native: русский (Russian), home country: English
    Hello, :)

Is there an online English/Arabic/English pronunciation dictionary?

I found a few but they don't supply vowels or give romanisation. Not really helpful with dictionaries, you need to know how to read the unknown words.

2. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    Anatoli,
    I have found the same. From a previous post I see that you have some good books for MSA and I think paper is the way to go as prior questions about dict. have yielded no results. That said in the resources sticky there are glossaries that give pronunciation and I can recommend these sites:
    http://islam.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=islam&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fmuttaqun.com%2Farabic%2Fenglish2arabic.html

http://www.laits.utexas.edu/arabicclass/arabicxyzthanksaa.html
    www.madinaharabic.com

The scope is limited of course but it is somewhere to start.

3. Anatoli Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks, MarcB.

Anyone else has anything?

4. linguist786 Senior Member

Blackburn, England
    English, Gujarati & Urdu
    Yes although I would like natives to check whether it's any good. I am only a beginner, but I have doubts about it - I don't think it detects the vowel sounds too well.
    Give it a try.

5. Anatoli Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Is your link correct, MarcB? I couldn't open it.

6. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    Yes I just tried all three and they opened. If you have a pop up blocker either disable it or copy and past the links.

7. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    It's Linguist's link that's not working. Could you please fix it ?

8. Anatoli Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    EDIT
    deleted incorrect statement

Cherine, do you know online English Arabic dictionaries that also supply pronunciation by putting vowels or some form of romanisation for Arabic words?

9. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Sory Anatoli, I would've posted them if I knew any :(
    But I hope those posted by Marc would help.
    You could also try the Sakhr dictionary, I'm not sure about the link, but google for sakhr dictionary or sakhr qamoos.

From Marc's last link, I give you this one :
    http://www.madinaharabic.com/Arabic_Language_Course/Arabic_%20Language_%20Course.htm
    Which is a list of Arabic lessons, with vowelization and romanisation (I didn't go much into it, but I think the vowelization is complete)

10. Anatoli Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks, Cherine. I got mixed up with who posted what :)

MarkB's links are good, I found very useful things but can't be used as a dictionary, to look up words.

i just did a search on Sakhr:

http://dictionary.sakhr.com/

Excellent, this is much better :) Thanks, Cherine.

The dictionary has some flaws (no grammar, e.g. no plural for nouns) but at least it gives pronunciation.

Can I push my luck and ask, if you know any dictionaries or other sites could give grammatical form, e.g. broken plural, verb forms, irregular feminine for adjectives, etc.

11. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    No, that would be too much to ask :D
    Kidding :)

Could you please open a new thread for this one ? But first look at the resources sticky, maybe you'll find useful links.

12. linguist786 Senior Member

Blackburn, England
    English, Gujarati & Urdu
    Sorry about the link thing. I have sorted it (there shouldn't have been a "www" in the address). However, the site still seems to be down nonetheless. It's always worked, but hasn't worked all day for me today. There must be technical difficulties or something I guess.
    Keep trying. It's definitely right now. (I've double checked it!)

13. linguist786 Senior Member

Blackburn, England
    English, Gujarati & Urdu
    The link should be working now. The website's better.

14. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Yes, Linguist, the link is fine, thank you :)

But I'd like to note that it's not exactly what Anatoli has asked for (a pronounciation dictionary) ;)

15. lianghh New Member

British English/German
    I really don't understand why there aren't any decent dictionaries for Arabic learners. :confused:
    I am learning Chinese, and one would think this is pretty exotic, but in fact there are numerous dictionaries without annoying ads that are also really nicely designed with useful tools, such as saving vocabulary lists and example sentences... etc etc.

Why not for Arabic?

16. MarcB Senior Member

US English
  17. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Welcome to the forum, Lianghh :)

Have you checked the WordReference Arabic dictionary? It has compound forms, sample sentences and links to the forum threads that have discussed the word you're looking for. (example)
    It's still growing, but I hope you'll find it useful :)

18. lianghh New Member

British English/German
    It's a mobile formattable website which is nice but without pronunciation guide or short vowels, it's just as useless as any other dictionary to me :/

19. Ghabi

Ghabi Moderator

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    Don't think so ... :rolleyes::D
    Seriously, I think you're right that there're not too many free on-line tools for learning Arabic. You need to learn it the old way (you may say the hard way), thumbing through your dictionary until it falls apart. Believe me, the best on-line tool for learning Arabic is this very forum you've just registered for. Make sure you make the most of it.;)

20. Journo-FRANCO Junior Member

English-US
    Hello,

I was unable to access the LAITS UTexas link, it keeps saying Error 404.