1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Arabic, Persian, Urdu: sumpsimus

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Alfaaz, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Background: Sumpsimus: a correct expression that takes the place of a popular but incorrect expression; "he preferred his erroneous but pleasing mumpsimus to the correct sumpsimus"

Sumpsimus: اسم) غلط العام کی جگہ صحیع فقرے کا استعمال)

Question: Is there a grammatical term for sumpsimus in Arabic (from which we have غلط العام - mumpsimus), Persian, and Urdu?

2. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Alfaaz SaaHib, I must admit that I've been unfamiliar with these two words until I saw your post (well, I could understand sumpsimus but I didn't know what usage it was supposed to have in English).

You have required a corresponding term for three languages, a grammatical term, but I am wondering if it is an easy task to accomplish since it is not clear to me if ''sumpsimus'' or ''mumpsimus'' is a grammatical term in itself. Could you please tell something more on this point?

On the margin: it is always great to learn something new and secondly, I think you have found a translation for Ghalatu_l3aam.

3. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    I'm not sure what this means (I cannot understand the definition). But we have غلط مصطلح in Persian which is used for a popular wrong expression or pronunciation.

4. aisha93

aisha93 Senior Member

Arabic/Persian(larestani)
    In Arabic, we mainly say خطأ شائع

5. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Thanks everyone!

marrish SaaHib: Now that you ask, I'm not sure if these are actually used as grammatical terms in English. Here is a Wikipedia article and another article on mumpsimus.

So it seems that sumpsimus would be the opposite of خطأ شائع / غلط مصطلح /غلط العام , meaning the صحیح / درست / correct تلفظ ، جملہ ، فقرہ .

6. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Thank you Alfaaz SaaHib for this, I like the second link very much. According to the information contained there,

1) Mumpsimus refers to the act of (or a person who)... and
    2) As a result, the word came to be applied to someone who sticks obstinately to their old ways, in spite of the clearest evidence that they are wrong. The word can also have the related meaning of some custom or notion that is adhered to, even though it has been shown to be unreasonable.

So it doesn't appear that it would be the opposite of Ghalatu_l3aam. Ghalatu_l3aam is not a person or an action, it is rather ''popular usage'' of a certain word or phrase.