1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Arabic Stress Patterns/النبرة في الكلمات

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by licinio, Nov 6, 2007.

1. licinio

licinio Senior Member

Italian
    I cannot explain myself why, according to what comes under the heading Stress in this Wikepedia article
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_language
    مجلة is stressed ma/l/la.
    The above rules would indicate in this case an unlikely antepenultimate syllable stress.

Please also confirm that these stresses are correct:
    Sa://ba/tu/hu
    Mush/ki//tu/hum

according to MSA (not Egyptian stressing rules).
    Thanks.

2. Wadi Hanifa

Wadi Hanifa Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    The stress pattern given for majalla is correct.

Sa://ba/tu/hu should be Sa:/hí/ba/tu/hu

Mush/ki//tu/hum is correct

P.S. I would advise you to be cautious when reading about the Arabic language (especially dialects) on Wikipedia, as there are numerous errors and it's often difficult to correct them

3. licinio

licinio Senior Member

Italian
    Thanks Wadi,
    and I'm sorry, I meant to write the stress as you indicated for صاحبته. As that article says, the stress can fall on one of the last three syllables.
    As for مجلة I cannot understand under which rule it falls. In fact they say that "the last 'Superheavy' syllable (containing a long vowel or followed by two consonants for example) is stressed", but also that "doubled consonants count as two consonants".

4. clevermizo Moderator

St. Louis, MO
    English (USA), Spanish
    I don't know about wikipedia, but the reason why مجلّة is pronounced [ma.jál.la] and not [má.jal.la] or something else is exactly because the [l] is doubled. This is sometimes called a 'stress attractor' in linguistics. It doesn't matter how you 'count' the L as [ll] or [strong l]. If you count it as one strong consonant, then the stress moves to the vowel right before it. If you count it as two consonants, then you syllabify the word this way:

ma jal la

in which case, the stress attractor is now the closed syllable [jal].

Anyway you syllabify it, ma. ja. lla or ma. jal. la, the stress is attracted to the position immediately before the stress attractor (here being the tashdiid).

The "stress attraction hierarchy" if you will is this:

CV < CVV, CVC < CVCC < CVVCC
    -----------------(increasing stress attraction)--->

This is not just true of Arabic, but also of most languages with stress and complicated syllable structure (like Latin). The actually term used for this attraction is "syllable weight". We say the structures towards the right (in my little graph) have "more weight".

If you use the "three syllable principle" as I'll call it in Arabic, then you mark off units of three syllables starting from the end of the word:

Saa 7i | ba ti hi

Then you add stress positions:

Saa(weak stress) 7i | bá (main stress) ti hi

5. licinio

licinio Senior Member

Italian
    Clevermizo,
    there are of course several ways to explain stress usage, and yours sounds simple enough. But shouldn't you add that the stress in Arabic has to fall on one of the last three syllables? Otherwise the principle of attraction would make such a word as صاحبته be pronounced with a stress on the first syllable.

6. clevermizo Moderator

St. Louis, MO
    English (USA), Spanish
    My entire analysis was given that exact fact, as I assumed that was a given of this discussion. That's what I meant by the "three syllable principle" that stress is on one of the last three syllables.

That said, as the vowel in صا is long, I would argue there is some weak or secondary stress on this syllable, although the main stress is on بَ.

Is the "last three syllables" universally accepted, however? Or are there different traditions of reading? Does everyone say "fi ma.dii.na.ti.hi" or do some read "fi ma.dii.na.ti.hi", maintaining the original stress of "ma.dii.na".

7. licinio

licinio Senior Member

Italian
    سؤالي يتعلق بمكان النبرة في الكلمة العربية وتحوله عند إضافة ضمير متصل.​
    أعطيكم مثالا: في العربية الفصحى (ليس في بعض اللهجات مثل المصرية) كلمة مدرسة تلفظ بالنبرة على المقطع الأول، فكيف يتغير النطق عندما أضيف شيئا، مثلا مدرسته؟
    شكرًا
    أندريه

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  8. AndyRoo Senior Member

London
    English
    The stress shifts:
    madrasa مدرسة
    madrasatii مدرستي
    madrasatuhu مدرسته

9. clevermizo Moderator

St. Louis, MO
    English (USA), Spanish

أنا شخصيا ألفظ مــدرسة ومدرسـتــُهُ ومدرستي مثلا (الحرف الأحمر يشير إلى النبرة).