1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Arabish

Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by Paulfromitaly, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Term: ARABISH

Your definition or explanation:

Arabish is a combination of an Arabic (العربية) pronunciation, and Latin written characters. Its been widely used lately, on many public advertisements by large multinationals, and as an official name for many successful internet projects world wide

Example: (An example of the term in use)

Some people refer to Arabish as Arabic Chat Alphabet because it was most often used to communicate on online chat services.

One or more places you have seen the term: (Please give URLs/links to web pages, or a full description of a print publication.)

http://www.slideshare.net/jnichols72/arabish
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabish

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? Yes _:tick:___ No ___

2. airportzombie

airportzombie Senior Member

Toronto
    English - CaE/AmE
    The [shortened language name] + [(gl)ish] formations I've come across usually refer to some sort of code-mixing between that language and English, such as Taglish (Tagalog), Spanglish (Spanish), etc. Does Arabish strictly refer to chat speak in Arabic using the Roman alphabet (transliteration) or does it include English grammar or vocabulary into it (code-mixing)? Does it have a negative connotation to it, such as Engrish, Chinglish or flançais where the use of the foreign language is misused and abused due to a thorough lack of understanding of that language (usually resulting in unintended humourous effect)?

These portmanteaus are used informally and unofficially, and they don't seem to have a strict definition to them. Should they really be a dictionary entry? It seems to be well-defined for a certain culture (or sub-culture) but not in a general sense.

3. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    There is a wide array of terms used to describe latinised Arabic. Even wikipedia has a few. 3arabizi is the one I'm most familiar in. Picking any would be favouritism, and also be unnecessary since the concept is rarely expressed in formal circles anywhere, a result of which is that all available words are colloquial and hence local too. Chat Alphabet is an expression which describes the phenomenon perfectly in my opinion.

4. clevermizo Moderator

St. Louis, MO
    English (USA), Spanish
    The term Arabizi (as mentioned by إسكندراني) below often in my experience refers to the mixed language or code switching phenomenon you describe. I haven't heard "Arabish" used for this. But then again, I haven't heard Arabish used to describe informal Latin transliteration of Arabic (as in chat).

In fact, I don't know if native speakers "call" this anything in direct reference, though obviously it has been used in writing with this meaning (as per the links in the proposed addition above).

I think there would definitely be some overlap in meaning with the code-switch meaning (in some places it truly amounts to nearly "mixed language").